16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ranger Precision Grade
berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up a Ranger Model 104.3 Precision Grade 16 ga. Hunter Arms manufactured. 28" barrels with around 70% + blue remaining,small mid ivory bead. Front bead a replacement. Bores are bright. Barrels ring and lock up tight to the frame which has around 85% + case colors, worn on the bottom front rounded part only. Wood is in pretty decent shape, finish is a little worn near the frame, the checkering is in very good shape. But the forend has had some work done to it, or is a complete replacement. It has a dowel horizontally through it, about a 1/4" in from the back end, but I cannot see a crack, and the iron has been replaced if the # on it is supposed to match the gun#. Contrasting piece of lighter colored wood let into the tip. Original Ranger pad is still in good shape, soft and pliable. Smooth black grip cap.
Don't know the chokes, guessing mod. and full . There is something stamped in a square on each side of the barrel flats but can't make it out.
If these Rangers ran in with the regular Hunter Arms serial #s then it is a 1938 gun.

Oh well, time to head out to the farm. Very Happy

berg
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

As a field gun it is most likely m+f--only way to know is to measure Wink
berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Back from the farm. It works! Very Happy
Just ran out with a box of Rem game loads, my old trius thrower and a partial box of rocks.
Didn't break em all, but I wasn't expecting to. Mostly just a function check and see how it handled. Like the way it feels. Don't have a decent scale to see what it weighs, but it definitely feels a little lighter and better balancd than my 311A.
Only 4 1/2 months til I get to see how it works on real birds.

berg
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

You'll like it better than the Stevens I'll wager. The market hasn't caught up to those Hunter Arms boxlocks yet, but it will! Good luck with it, and shoot it well!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Fin,
Doesn't really matter if it goes up or not, as long as it goes bang! I bought it cause it looked good and was a 16 ga.
Oh, the price was right too. My guy I use for transfers asked me "how much???" twice, and said "you stole it" at least three times. If I decide to sell it, I would just about have to give it away to lose on it.
I might end up giving it away, I've got a nephew that is just about getting big enough. Last year he walked a couple of fields with us, carrying an old Stevens .410 hammer single. I've always thought that was a terrible choice for a kid's gun. but tons of people bought them.

berg

Naw, if he wants a 16 double he might get the Stevens, I think I might hang on to this one.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Nah, I knew you didn't buy it for the "value"; just thought you got a good buy on a good gun is all. I stomped many a mile with with a single shot .410; an H&R, though. You're right: it's an awful gun for a kid, but he'll learn a lot, and he might even get a bird or two! If you let him pack that Stevens tell him to treat her right and she'll do him proud!

Where you from up in Nebraska? I was born in Bennington, but been a Kansan for a good long time. Always a Husker at heart though, and especially come fall...GO BIG RED!!!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook