16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz load Question
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Top card or no top card?

let's ask the experts!

For your amusement, in the 1930's Remington used top cards and got "perfect balanced patterns", even beyond 60 yds... Shocked

Uh oh....something was amiss! Embarassed

In the 1940's they found the solution to all those "blown patterns" of the 1930's.....do away with that rascally top card that was upsetting the shot column.... Wink

Yep...... it never ceases to amaze me that what one has at the time is the VERY BEST; at least until something better comes along!

My roll crimp loads in 16Ga are strictly hunting loads. I use a layered top wad of 3-.010" cards and wax the crimp after rolling. They will hold-up for eight or more firings in the mag tube of a repeater so seem durable enough. I load 4's to 7's and even with 7's patterns have remained as good as folded crimp.... Still I look for a substitute for Federal's old "Frangible top wad" used at the end of their roll crimp field loads as they actually break into multiple pieces where mine separates into three thin discs that are still "in the way" and make me wonder if an occasional pattern may still experience degradation. So far I haven't seen it.....

Slidehammer
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

This is called results oriented testing, you test till you get the results you want, then throw away all the other test data.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Chris P., check your PM's thanks
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps the way to solve this conundrum is to ask a bunch of the pheasants who have been shot in the butt with both types of loads which stung worse? Rolling Eyes Laughing
chopper
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Shot with an old-timer today at the range. In discussion about lighter loads, 7/8 and 3/4 oz, he stated that he uses a single navy bean on top of his shot. Yup, the kind you make soup with. He says it's cheap, available, and gives great crimps.

On another note, he was given a 20ga cordoba as a retirement gift from his company...was that thing sweet! It couldn't have been 5lbs and had little to no recoil - more of a light push - w/factory 7/8oz loads.

Chopper