16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I've got to stay out of gun stores...
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:04 am  Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Limited 16 gauge content.

Was having some shoulder problems, probably stress and/or tendonitis. Got the idea in my head that I should try an auotloader. Naturally, I did some reading, talked to a lot of guys and shot some guys' guns at the club. Then I in-store handled nearly every form of semiauto available. So, guess which member of this Esteemed Society dropped a nice chunk of change on a 12 ga. Benelli SuperSport? (Hint: Me.)

Forgive me, for I have strayed.

The good news is that, today, after taking a couple weekends off to let the shoulder rest, I took the new Italian autoloader out for a spin on some low-gun skeet. Shot the four boxes of shells I had with me, and was still having fun and feeling good, so I bought two more boxes and shot 'em up. Shot rather decently, too, if I may say so. A very comfy-shooting gun for me. The shoulder feels absolutely fine. I could have a game of catch right now.

Oh, and for reasons I still don't understand, the other day I picked up a little stainless Springfield Armory, Czech-made M-6 Scout .22/410. It was just $200, and it was NIB, and they're not making more, and I just ... well, you know.

I'm not leaving the fold, though. The FAIR 900 will get its work in before bird season arrives, and it will still be my go-to pheasant gun. And the home stock refinish job (my first) went great! Smile And of course I had to have a Verona in 16 for the hell of it and as a backup/loaner. Got a slim Kick-Eez pad fitted, and the gun fits nicely now. And of course there's still that BPS 16 on order. Thank God you guys told me to get safe bigger than I thought I'd need. Smile

But darned if the apartment is getting a little crowded with shells. Well, only one way to cure that! Very Happy
ltking
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:23 am  Reply with quote

I got your problem, too. I gotta stay outy of pawn shops, gun stores, and auction sales. Evert time I go to either one, seems like a couple just follow me home! Already upgraded my safe to 32 cu ft. Has slots for 21 long guns
and many pistols. Never thought I'd see the day when it was full, but that day arrived this spring. Now have put the lesser value guns in corners, boxes, and any convenient nook and cranny. Gave some guns (5) to my
sons, son-in-law, daughter, and daughter-in-law to make room for some more guns, but now Christmas is 6 months away. Can a Dr give me some
medicine to cure gun addiction, or must I go to a gun rehabilitation clinic
and stay for a long time? Will my medical insurance pay for the rehad?
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:56 am  Reply with quote

ltking wrote:
Can a Dr give me some medicine to cure gun addiction, or must I go to a gun rehabilitation clinic and stay for a long time? Will my medical insurance pay for the rehad?

We'd have to ask the RevDoc. He's a preacher and a physician. Maybe we can form a support group. Would probably have to be by conference call, though, given our scattered locations. Wink
sothere
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

ltking wrote:
I got your problem, too. I gotta stay outy of pawn shops, gun stores, and auction sales. Evert time I go to either one, seems like a couple just follow me home! Already upgraded my safe to 32 cu ft. Has slots for 21 long guns
and many pistols. Never thought I'd see the day when it was full, but that day arrived this spring. Now have put the lesser value guns in corners, boxes, and any convenient nook and cranny. Gave some guns (5) to my
sons, son-in-law, daughter, and daughter-in-law to make room for some more guns, but now Christmas is 6 months away. Can a Dr give me some
medicine to cure gun addiction, or must I go to a gun rehabilitation clinic
and stay for a long time? Will my medical insurance pay for the rehad?
I was just in the local shop the other day and a guy was voicing the same malady......I asked if he knew what the good news was?he said "No" So I told him there was no cure...I'm sure he felt better;Regards,ST
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I too have the Illness you speak of. It seems that 2007 has been primarily the year of rifles and replicas. I have been shooting the heck out of a new Cimmaron Winchester model 1873 and a Peacemaker Buntline to match. Could Cowboy Action be in my future? The old Dillon hasn't stopped churning out 45LC since March.

I thought the cure to my malady would be in the form of a couple new Varmint Rifles in 204 Ruger and 17 Fireball until I saw the new Savage MrkII BTVS with Laminated Thumbhole Stock in 22LR for Smallbore Sillhouette shooting. After all, I had a scope that was getting lonely! Seems we will go to any length to justify a purchase! It seems that my latest urge is in the form of a Replica Sharps Rifle in 45/90 for vintage long range sillhouette shooting. After all, you never know when a stampede of buffalo will be coming down the street! At least that is what I'll tell my wife. Very Happy

Is there no relief from this madness? Perhaps RevDoc could perform an exorcism of the demons?

Gotta go to the gun(drug)store!

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
ltking
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Grant: Your gun addiction, according to my count, may be growing, but
my addiction is nearing terminal porportions. You can still list all your guns,
an impressive selection, at the bottom of your post. I run out of space and
fear administrative editing if I list all my toys. After all, my wife says the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! I've got a lot of toys! Revdoc may be a noted doctor, and certainly an expert on "Elsies", but
he will be challenged to put my malady into remission.
WVBob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am  Reply with quote

There are a number of us here with this illnes or should I say lust. If it was just shotguns the BPS would have made me happy but the good deal on the Ruger .357 and the Nagant 1895 almost did me in with the wife. But after 28 years of marrage I know to get her some bling and I can get something that goes bang. Very Happy

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Actually were asking the Rev for the wrong thing. We should organize an even called the blessing of the shotguns.

There is a little town up in Michigan where the blessing of the bikes is attracting about 10,000 motorcycles. Maybe it's our turn.

Jeff
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Oh boy, I can see it now. Honey, I have to go to Arizona for 10 days in November to get my SxS's blessed. Laughing That would really go over good. Wink

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

For you fellas from the frozen NE and upper Midwest, Jan. in AZ IS pretty close to paradise (and likely as close as any of you heathens are ever gonna get Wink ) Cool enough that quail hunting SE of Tucson is just getting good and the snakes are in ground. Now Baptists aren't into that Liturgical stuff, but the Diety would probably allow me to work up a 'Blessing of the SxSs' And Jeff-you can bring your A5s also, even if the good Bro Browning was a Mormon Rolling Eyes

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Can I specify the "annointing with oil" vs the baptism with water when blessing my shotguns?

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
For you fellas from the frozen NE and upper Midwest, Jan. in AZ IS pretty close to paradise (and likely as close as any of you heathens are ever gonna get Wink ) Cool enough that quail hunting SE of Tucson is just getting good and the snakes are in ground. Now Baptists aren't into that Liturgical stuff, but the Diety would probably allow me to work up a 'Blessing of the SxSs' And Jeff-you can bring your A5s also, even if the good Bro Browning was a Mormon Rolling Eyes

Come on, Drew, if you can bless SxSs and Mormon guns, you could bring yourself to bless a couple Italian O/Us, couldn't you? Wink