16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  200 buck Model 12 – 16 Ga
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

postoak,

Those are neat looking recoil pads. Are they the "Silvers" replicas I have heard mentioned? If so how do they stack up in performance and durability with the other more common contemporary pads like Kick-eez, Decellerators, Old English etc? I tend toward hard butt plates but I have a classic older Superposed and a model 12 that I sometimes think about adding pads to. Just wondered.
postoak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote

GG - those repoduction Silvers pads are from Galazan - I haven't had the two guns back very long, so as to how they will hold up I have no idea. Like you I prefer hard buttplates – but these two old guns had been cut and padded at some point in their history and fitted with inappropriate type pads. The O/U had a Browning and the SxS wore a White Line Pachmeyer.

I like the “feel” of these pads as compared to the more modern squishy type pad, but I hunt upland type game mostly, and I am not much of a target gunner. As some members here can attest to Wink - so how much recoil do I need to dampen ? Not much. My Water Fowl/Crane gun in an Old Zabala 10 Gauge Magnum with a hard buttplate – to tell you the truth – it seems not to kick much, no more than I shoot it.
postoak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Here are WL's hunting licenses:

I found these in reverse order - the 1923 next to the buttplate, next the 1922, and smashed up against the head of the stock thru bolt - the 1921 license. This I believe demostrates the fuzzyness of the Serial Number lists. I suspect Ol WL purchased this Old Model 12 during the 1921 hunting season as this license was good up until May 1st 1922.

I also have found W L's reply to the 1910 Census.
sothere
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

My grand father used to do that,retreived a few from his 1897 that I inherited.I still do it,stacking mine in there with his.Kinda makes me feel like he's along for the ride ya know