16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New 16 ga-sort of!!
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Found it-finally. 16ga over 7 x 65R Drilling-Krieghoff Neptun Dural proofed in 1983. 25" barrels, set trigger front, manual cocking on the rifle barrel with pop-up sight, weighs only 6 lb 14 oz without the scope (Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 on detachable mount). Bigger caliber than I wanted but the price was right. More than enough for the coyotes and should do fine for whitetails too.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Your pic is quite dark and I might be seeing something that isn't there, but is the front scope mount encircling the objective bell?

JonP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

No-the scope has a rail (Schiene) on the underside to which the mounting hardware is attached. The mounting system is know as an SEM-Suhler Einhackmontage. The scope can be taken off and on extremely quickly and zeroes very well.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 am  Reply with quote

I've really been impressed with the few drillings I've seen and handled . . . how does one educate oneself to the ins and outs of buying a drilling? I know nothing about how many makers there are, which ones are good, bad, or ugly, pricing, etc.

Thanks,

NR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Truly a beautiful drilling! The 7x64R is more than adequate for whitetails. It is ballistically identical to the .280 Remington and with the proper bullet will take Elk handialy. Congratulations!
gunmark07
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

thats a beautiful gun , use it well. Very Happy

JonP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I've really been impressed with the few drillings I've seen and handled . . . how does one educate oneself to the ins and outs of buying a drilling? I know nothing about how many makers there are, which ones are good, bad, or ugly, pricing, etc.

Tough to get info on drillings in this country. The better makers are Krieghoff, Sauer (Simson), Blaser, and of course all the individual gunsmiths of Suhl, Germany and Ferlach, Austria. One of the big reasons that Drillings have not caught on here is hunting style as well as the weight of these guns (especially in 12 ga). With scope, an all steel drilling will weigh 8-9 lbs or more and is really best suited to big game from a stationary position. Typically a drilling will also have a small caliber rifled insert, say a .222. Often the remaining barrel will be loaded with a slug. The hunter is prepared for everything from fox to stag at any reasonable distance. (A 16 guage slug works magic on hogs at closer distances.)

Europeans avoid the Dural framed guns (aluminum alloy) because the early ones cracked and gained a bad reputation. However, guns from 1970 on and from the better makers are as stable as steel guns and are much lighter and easier to carry. A dural framed Sauer 16/70 over 7 x 57R (a very nice deer cartridge) typically weighs 6 1/2 lbs (24" barrels)- and will have a life of 15-20,000 rounds before the action may have to be tightened. Since you don't take these guns to the skeet range every week, this should not be a concern.

BTW, that 7 x 57R cartridge can be loaded down to 120 grain (MV=3000fps) for varmint and is very effective at 140-175 grain for larger game. Past CW was that you should only buy drillings with North American calibers but with the availability of all the metric calibers in the US, that seems to be changing.

I also have a delicate little drilling in 20/70 over 22 Savage Hi-Power (5.6 x 52R). This gun weighs 6 lb 5 oz (!!!!) and with 25" barrels is just about the best small game/varmint gun you could ask for.
henryrski
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

JonP I'm curious, where do youn shoot coyotes in NJ. I won't hunt there at all because the State has gone goofy with their gun laws. Just curious!
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

I don't hunt at all in NJ. The only reason I have an NJ license is because its required to run VDD tests on state grounds here. I have licenses in NY, ND, SD, AZ, some years for Canada, and a visitors license in Germany every year. We see most of our coyote in the Dakotas, NY and AZ. These eastern coyote can be fairly good sized animals - one weighing 48lb was shot last fall near my camp.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

I've always thought it'd be sweet to carry a 16x16 over .222 while pheasant hunting . . . just to roll the odd coyote that jumps out of the brush!

Interesting insight as to loading all 3 barrels with slugs/bullets and sitting around being "ready for anything."

The thing I'm most amazed about is how well balanced the drillings are that I have handled. How do they do that with 3 barrels?!

Best,
NR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always thought it'd be sweet to carry a 16x16 over .222 while pheasant hunting . . . just to roll the odd coyote that jumps out of the brush!

This is actually quite a popular combination in Austria and Denmark, where the 222 is seen as a good cartridge for Roe deer. The 5.6 x 52R (Savage 22 Hi-Power) is actually a little more potent than a 222 and shoots a 70 grain bullet.

Drillings are not as well balanced as shotuns- most are a bit barrel heavy but I find they swing OK, the weight sems to make up for the shorter barrels. Some of the pre-war drillings are very well balanced and surprising light, even with all steel construction. Unfortunately, the older metric calibers are not (9.3 x 72R, 8 x 57IS, 9 x 57R, etc) are not very attractive for us here. A lot of drillings with the 9.3 x 72R caliber were imported-terrible cartridge tat te erans just wanted to get rid of.