16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hot and Dry
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Here in the Midwest things are hot and d-r-y- could use a good,slow soaking rain.Hope everyone else is doing better Wink
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:39 am  Reply with quote

Same condition here in agriculture area of NY. Starting to be an issue with the grape growers and I feel for them Sad I'm lucky to be on a big lake and have water on my land. Been real humid here with quick thunderstorms passing through. Deer on my land look real good Very Happy and been seeing more pheasant than in the past plus the turkeys are about 10 ft. on center Exclamation
berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Been lots of rain here in Nebraska. Some areas have gotten more this month than they usually get in a year. Two big storm systems went through dumping 8"+ in some spots.

berg
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

kentucky is dry as a bone. hot, and fortunately, no humidity. usually it's change your clothes 4 times a day this time of year around here. we're on the ohio so water is not a problem but the inland folks are hurtin'. they drew down lake cumberland to repair the dam and now the trout are beginning to die off.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Hot (80's-low90's)and humid (80%+) here--rain several times a week---so green it hurts your eyes. Hope I don't mildew.
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

It has been a little bit warm here also. Last week we hit 100 degrees for the first time this year. We have had a little rain lately including a quick shower today but we are still at least 12"-15" below normal.

Skip

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

On Long Island, Aptil gumped over 12" of rain on us. May was also a wet one. June beat sll June records... by June 3rd.

Afternoons and evenings, I sell underground lawn sprinklers. I pray for hot and dry days.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Fluesy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Gentlemen-Hot is relative to location, it is about 105-108ish today. That would be hot by some standards, but without the humidity to go with it, it isn't half bad. Phoenix was a balmy 113-115 last weekend when we went on the tour of the new Bass Pro Shop, a little warmer than I would like but tolerable. Last week I was in Charleston South Carolina for a conference, it was 85-87ish and 90%+ on the humidity, this poor ole fat desert rat about melted. I don't see how you guys in the humidity can survive, it just plain kicks my butt. My work partner was there with his wife a couple days prior to the conference he said it got up to 102 in Charleston, the poor native Arizona guy was struggling to not melt. We don't really get the humidity until the first week or two in July, then the monsoon starts and we get 100 & 100, degrees and percent humidity. One of the redeeming things about the rain is it grows Quail and it cools it off just a little and I kinda like to see the desert explode in the vibrant green the rains bring. Only 11 weeks until the opening of Dove Season. If anyone has any extra rain send it our way, we could use the moisture. I've not seen many Quail Peepers in this neck of the woods, I sure hope somewhere in Arizona there are some birds.
A Good Evening to All Very Happy
Chet

Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Fluesy,

I hope there are some birds somewhere in AZ also but it sure isn't looking very good this year.

Mid 80's here in Flagstaff, 15% humidity. The sun is hot when you are in it but otherwise real nice. We have only received 1/3 of the normal for moisture so far this year. We will be really lucky if we don't have a BIG forest fire before the monsoons start in 3 weeks.

Dennis
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Same in Vegas. 100-108. Just got back from a weekend in Milwaukee. Should have brought some baby powder for the old shorts! Shocked

Forgot what humidity is. Good to get back to the arid desert, however, no rain yet this year so it's going to be a poor quail season Crying or Very sad

Matt
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

CF16,

I was in Wis. myself until the 12th. The first week was real nice but the last 2 days were begining to get hot and muggy. Sounds like I left at the right time.

Dennis
rayb
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:45 am  Reply with quote

and here in paradise (the Texas Panhandle) we've had good rains, a cool spring, looks like excellent weather for the rest of the wheat harvest which is better than it has beeen in many, many years AND a higher price than in many years. The farmers are all in shock at the good conditions and prices at the same time. Ther will also be a LOT of corn this year due to higher prices , prices driven by demand for ethanol plant feed stock.

The down side of the corn is that it is all irrigated, which means a big demand on the aquifers, which aren't doing quite so well.

The doves are getting thick around the house trees, and in general this year looks most excellent.

Only killed one rattlesnake so far.

Unlike the year of the range fires recently... so far this one is good

hope it stays this way, the ag people need a good year for a change

rayb