16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Well I met pudelpointer and his friend Jim at LVSC today. We shot a round of sporting clays. Took a short break for a bite to eat and then shot a round at 5 Stand.
Then we decided to shoot another round of SC. All toll we shot 225 rds today. Great day of shooting.

I shot a personal high on SC the second round. An 85 using my Citori Feather for 66 shots before the cocking rod broke. Mad Pudelpointer was nice enough to let me finish with his LC Smith and some of his low pressure ammo. That was fine as it helped me beat him. Very Happy He shot an 83 whcih was a great score since he shot the whole round with it.

All in all it was a great day except for the Citori taking a crap. We started shooting right around 10 and finished up around 330 I think.

PP, thanks for the use of the gun and ammo and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon.

wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

wow...now I'm really going to start looking for a sporting shotgun. TJ, the way you and I punish our light citoris, I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before I have another glitch too! The lightning feather may be best suited for the occasional sporting clay round and some bird hunting. I know you already have the merkel for pheasant duty but we both push the citori through a lot of trap rounds and I think that's where I probably should limit the usage.

Anyway, that sounds like it was a great day. Hope I can meet up with you guys next time.

So, does it go back to Browning or G&H?
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

WW,
Yea, not sure what I'm going to do. May just start shooting the Merk more often on the trap and clays course.
That was my original intention anyway and the main reason I had the tubes put in the gun.

I also started to shop around for a steel Citori in 16ga. There is a used one at G&H for $1500 that's been there for a while. Maybe they'll deal a bit.
There's also a Sporting Clays version, NIB, on Gunbroker that might be the way to go.
I'm just a bit "gunshy" on the SC version as I already tried that route with the Ceasar G Summit and didn't do well.

I may just take the gun to Ray's tomorrow when I go to work. Question Question
I hate shipping guns for repair.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

you had the tubes put in just to be difficult.
kat is on the hotel reservation thing for portland. down to 1000. per night(of course I had them put our room on your bill)

sothere
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

I can't understand the trouble you guys are having with the Citori's.
I've owned 3 Lightnings ,2 Super Lights and 2 Uplands with out incident.(All 16's)
The 28" lightning was my Hunting/Trap/Skeet gun.Off hand it had to have digested at least 7000 rounds and barely had a mark on it and the service it gave me was impeccable.The fella I sold it to in Tulsa asked if I used it much.These were guns from the 1980's run and wonder if that makes a difference.the gun was as tight as new when assembled as well Question Question Question
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:27 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
you had the tubes put in just to be difficult.
kat is on the hotel reservation thing for portland. down to 1000. per night(of course I had them put our room on your bill)

OK, good. What about the room in Freeport, you're (she's) doing that too? Or are we staying in Portland both nights?

sothere,
I don't know either. I've had a "few" Citoris over the years. Still use a Superposed from the 60's without problems. This particular 16ga Feather has probably close to 10K rds which should not be a problem at all.
I'll drop the gun off today to see what they can tell me.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Yeh how do you like that let a guy use your gun and he beats you. I wanted to cry like a little girl he messed up my mojo and relationship with my L.C. However he was hard beat he shot 48 out of the first 50 its hard to hang with that kind of pressure on. It was a fun day the 16's were crushing clays and turning heads. My payoff for losing was 1000 empty RGL hulls so I'll packup my toy's and go home. TJC I'll bring 5 or 6 guns next time just to have a couple backup's for you.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 am  Reply with quote

PP,

Been away from the 'puter for a week or so as I was away at a convention/training seminar.

We did have a bunch of fun that day. Looking forward to another one soon. That was a good bunch of shooting, 225 rds.

No need to bring any guns for me. I'm bringing one of the Merkels next time, no questions about it. It's time to start shooting the new one a bit more.

Let me know when you're ready for a long Sat or Sun of shooting again. Wink
I need to do it before the end of July as I'm going up to Maine for the UJ shoot at Scarborough with Hunshatt and I don't want to embarass myself Very Happy shooting up there with all the big guns.