16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Superlight vs. Superlight Feather
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

After wanting one for nearly 20 years (I'm 33 now), I'm ready to buy my first Browning O/U. I'm down to either the Superlight 16 or the Superlight Feather 16. Both would be excellent for my intended end uses, I think (quail, pheasant, grouse, some dove, MINIMAL skeet and clays--and I LOVE to walk when I hunt). I know the technical differences between the two models, but I'd like some advice on the practical side of actually shooting them.

1. What about additional recoil on the feather model? At least 85% of my shooting will be 1 oz, I think. I've shot my friend's Superlight Feather 12 ga and the recoil wasn't so bad. And it can't be any worse than my anti-aircraft gun (870 12 ga Super Mag). I'm 6' 4", so I'm assuming that I'll add a recoil pad for some extra LOP. Am I overlooking anything here?

2. I don't mind the receiver on the feather model; in fact, I kind of favor the finish because I've heard that the blue-ing on other Citori models will fade at the carry point. And I know I'll never shoot enough to wear out the receiver--I don't have time; I work for a living! (:

3. What about barrel length on these models? I've always preferred 28". Would the extra 2" (about 2 oz?) mitigate at least a little of the extra recoil of the feather model (understanding, too, that the reduced receiver weight moves the point of balance toward the barrel)?

4. The price difference isn't an issue. I'm on month 11 of a 15 month "holiday" in Iraq, so I've got all kinds of combat pay that's burning a hole in my camo trousers.

BTW, I had a pleasant and informative phone conversation with Bill Hanus the other day. I like the idea of buying from him. I've seen both praise and criticism for his services on this website. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Blessings,

Phil
budrichard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:23 am  Reply with quote

It seems that you have provided the information for you to make your decision.
My only comment is that for a gun where I walk a lot through diificult terrain, i like a gun of no more than 6#'s. So, walk a lot, shoot little, Feather, walk little, shoot a lot, SuperLight. Consider loads lighter than 1oz. I use GameBore 2&1/2" 16 gauge with felt wads, work fine. Pad is not needed. -Dick
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

I had looked at those myself. Bill Hanus has pictures of them on his website. Both nice looking, but I still keep comming back to the White Lighning. I have a 16 ga Lightning and I don't mind the weight at all, but then again I mostly skeet shoot and carrying it all day isn't an issue. I also looked at the 525's but that pistol grip doesn't leave any room to move your hand back.
I think any of the two you mentioned would be great choices.
Any way, keep a sharp look out and don't take chances. You only have a few months until you come home.
Maj Paul Scolari, USAF-Retired
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

I bought my 6# Rizzini for just the same reason..walk a lot, shoot a little. If you're prone to missing a lot of your airborne targets, maybe recoil induced flinch would be a problem. From my experience, when there's a bird in my sights, I never feel the gun kick my shoulder. NEVER. Even when I'm throwing 2 1\4 ounce of lead at a wild turkey from my 10ga magnum. Or slinging a 400gr copper solid at buff with my 416 Rem mag. And I'm a puny 5' 10".

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 am  Reply with quote

My recommendation? Get a lightweight 16ga. sxs, especially if you're going to use it mostly for bird hunting. No finer bird gun exists imho.

If you truly have your heart set on a citori, you can't go wrong with either choice. A few ounces won't make much difference in felt recoil. It mostly comes down to aesthetics (which is another reason I prefer a sxs Razz )

Happy choosing, and come home safe.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Lightning Feather is the model, if you're referring to the alloy-framed gun. Don't know of a Superlight Feather, nor do I know how much weight difference there is between a Superlight and a Lightning Feather. I do know there's a bunch between a standard Lightning and a Lightning Feather--like a good 3/4 pound. I had a Feather. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but shooting skeet, that gun whacked me pretty soundly, even with my 7/8 oz reloads. Have also owned White Lightning and standard Lightning, and never noticed recoil on either of those.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Lightning Feather is the model, if you're referring to the alloy-framed gun. Don't know of a Superlight Feather, nor do I know how much weight difference there is between a Superlight and a Lightning Feather. I do know there's a bunch between a standard Lightning and a Lightning Feather--like a good 3/4 pound. I had a Feather. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but shooting skeet, that gun whacked me pretty soundly, even with my 7/8 oz reloads. Have also owned White Lightning and standard Lightning, and never noticed recoil on either of those.

OK, color me confused.

Isn't there a steel framed "Superlight" 16ga Browning?

If so, I would be curious as to the weight and handling difference between that model and the alloy framed gun that Larry is talking about above.

I too have shot the Lightning Feather and found it to pound me pretty good when shooting skeet, even with the 7/8ths oz reloads. Nary an issue with the standard Lightnings.

KyBrad
LiverTick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:00 am  Reply with quote

According to Bill Hanus' website, there is supposed to be:

1. A Lightning -- steel frame, POW grip
2. A Lightning Feather -- alloy frame, POW grip
3. A Superlight -- steel frame, English grip
4. A Superlight Feather -- alloy frame, English grip

However, upon close examination of the Browning model numbers assigned to the Superlight and Superlight Feather, they appear to be the same....
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

I believe all the steel frame Superlights were discontinued a couple of years back. The new batch of 16 ga. Citori models was supposeded to include a few, but I think these are all long gone now. The last new one I saw for sale was late last summer, It went for about 1650-1700 or so.

The 26" Superlights do handle a bit quicker in the thick stuff for me than any other model 16 ga Citori. I've owned a 12, 28, and .410 steel Superlight and have hunted with them for a number of seasons. As far as the basic stock measurements for LOP. drop and cast, they are identical to the Lightning models except for the straight grip. This feature allows me to adjust my relative LOP by shifting my right hand up or back a bit to allow for more or less clothing as the weather requires.

If you want a "steelie" Superlight 16, I think you will be looking for a while in the used gun racks for a clean one. I looked for one for nearly a decade before one of the guys here mentioned one for sale in a Midwest shop. It was listed as an Upland, but had the 26" barrels instead of the 24" ones. That made it a steel frame Superlight with the best barrel length for balance and swing vs quickness IMO. I was on it before the tipster's keyboard cooled off and caught hell from some of the other members to boot. Very Happy No, you can't have it. Sorry. You'll have to find your own.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I was that tipster. But you got that good deal because you had the knowledge to know that it was wrongly advertised. You benefited from experience. chaplainkramer doesn't have it yet.