16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  DeHaan S2 16ga Weight - Wow!
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

well hell, if another pound is so much of a burden to carry in the field why not look at your apparel and shoes and while you're at it your gut. i understand the balance and swing thing and there's compromises to be made sure but if you're worried about an ounce, a pound, hell 5 pounds of additional weight to your hunting kit then you need to stay outta the woods and fields and get into the gym. fit and feisty at 60! rick
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

rgrigutis wrote:
well hell, if another pound is so much of a burden to carry in the field why not look at your apparel and shoes and while you're at it your gut. i understand the balance and swing thing and there's compromises to be made sure but if you're worried about an ounce, a pound, hell 5 pounds of additional weight to your hunting kit then you need to stay outta the woods and fields and get into the gym. fit and feisty at 60! rick

Yet pro cyclists apend thousands for a bike that is as light as possible!

Didn't we all go for the sixteen because it is lighter? You remember the adage... "Carries like a 20... Hits like a 12"! A little healthy debate is cool. What is more fun than pulling out the old sacle and weighing your guns on a rainy night? (At least when the better half isn't around)

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
henrybelton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

It seems there are more important criteria than shaving ounces, eg: fit, comfort, looks, gut feeling, etc.

No one wants to lug extra pounds. But if I hunted like a distance runner or cyclist, I'd have wear gore tex and polartec from REI and not waxed cotton and wool. My shotgun would be synthetic stock and titanium...
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

i am a cyclist myself, i've been riding a trek 520 for over 25 years. this is about a 25# bike, geometry set for comfort and built to last. it's been thru utah, colorado, arizona, wisconsin and more. it cost me about 500 new. at the time i could have bought a kestrel or other at < 22# for about 3000. i saw/see people overweight as hell but w/ a big pocketbook buying these lightweight bikes thinking it's gonna make 'em fast. losing 20 or 30 pounds would make 'em fast, vastly healthier, and richer. snob appeal ,i guess, drives it. look at audio equipment. how many people who plunk down 5000 for a home theatre system can tell the difference from a 2000 dollar system? sure, there's guys w/ well tuned ears and sound is their thing that could pick up distortion and such but not the vast majority of people who buy them. if you're that sensitive to the weight and balance of a gun to the point that ounces make a difference then by all means avail yourself. i shoot a 525 sporting for clays and while i've never weighed it it must be around 9#. i've also got an wingmaster 16 that's under 7. both fine guns and i could carry both all day. i shoot the heavier gun more accurately than the lighter. the 2# difference would not dissuade me from carrying the 525 afield. getting it boogered up in brush and fences would. sorry for rambling