16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  A5 16 ga with a Cutts compensator
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I saw one today for $325 but the Cutts is giviing me some second thoughts. That and it looks to have been refinished, the metal that is, and that too is a concern although it would be a shooter and not a collector gun.

Other than that it looks to be in fair condition but I didn't take it apart and look real hard.

One thing i did notice was on the back side of the trigger, for lack of a better term I'll call it the web, there was a hole drilled. It looked like it was made that way but none of my other 4 A5's have that hole. It has the safety behind the trigger but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the hole.

Two questions,
1. Does that seem like a decent price for this gun? It is not a Sweet Sixteen.

2. Anybody got any ideas why the hole is there?
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

The safety you are describing leads me to believe that it is not a Browning Auto-5.

It might be an American Browning, made by Remington while Belgium was occupied during WW2.

I'd bet the serial number has the letter prefix "A". Let us know the number and we'll help confirm what this gun is. Also look for proof marks and the chamber length on the barrel and post the information.

BTW, if I'm right about the model of gun, and it has a Cutts and was refinished...well it's not a bargain.

Jeff
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I'm planning to take another look on Friday. It has what I would describe as a matte finish. I'll check the serial number and look for other markings also. Thanks Jeff.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Art,

Another clue, probably not an Auto-5

Also look closely at the engraving pattern. On the American Browning it was very limited and roll stamped, not hand engraved.

Jeff
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Art,

Take a look at this gun, it is a 16 ga "American Browning". Notice the trigger with hole as you described? Also see where the serial number is?

Also note the bids on this gun, they reflect the level of interest and percieved value of these guns. It is a bot of a shame as they are not bad guns at all....

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=74723452

If your serious about the gun you saw, print out this auction and show it to the seller as evidence of the real market value....maybe he'll come down for you.

Jeff
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff, that's exactly what the trigger looked like. Once again, right on the money.