16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 12 question
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been looking for a 16 gauge pump for quite some time. I would love a M37 but there just aren't ANY down here in New Zealand. However, I have a chance to buy a Mod 12 but I don't know the model at all. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? What should I be looking for? Serial number is 1709XX. Any idea of age?

Failing that is anyone interested in shipping a M37 Ultrafeatherweight, 28" barrels with choke tubes in excellent condition all the way down here? If you'd like to deliver it yourself I would even throw in some birdhunting. I'm off to shoot some quail this afternoon and the season lasts til end of Aug Wink

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Ross
brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a model twelve. They don't wear out, if that is what you are afraid of. Buy it if you like it and the price seems right.

Brian

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:07 am  Reply with quote

That serial puts it in 1918, and almost certainly chambered for 2 9/16".
You might have trouble ejecting 2 3/4" shells.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
22-250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Kiwishooter wrote:
I've been looking for a 16 gauge pump for quite some time. I would love a M37 but there just aren't ANY down here in New Zealand. However, I have a chance to buy a Mod 12 but I don't know the model at all. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? What should I be looking for? Serial number is 1709XX. Any idea of age?

Failing that is anyone interested in shipping a M37 Ultrafeatherweight, 28" barrels with choke tubes in excellent condition all the way down here? If you'd like to deliver it yourself I would even throw in some birdhunting. I'm off to shoot some quail this afternoon and the season lasts til end of Aug Wink

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Ross

Ross, if you don't want it I'll buy it! It looks like it was built in 1918. the pre war Mod 12's seem to be a little smoother action than the post war ones. As far as wear the things you mainly want to look for is the receiver locking notch, trigger area and barrel adjusting sleeve. Everything is repairable with new/used parts that can be found from Numrich Arms and ebay. The exception would be the locking notch in the receiver. Here is a link to a pretty good examination process, just read through the thread.
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=10077
Good luck & shooting.
Robert
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:55 am  Reply with quote

When the extractor starts getting pointy on a model 12, you will be coming up on some work. Model 12s do wear to the point of not working, but, can almost always be repaired.

The Ultrafeatherlight 16 gauge Ithacas have become the Holy Grail of the pump gun world. I just sold one, a standard, almost NIB, in the Gun Digest for $800, and could have sold it a dozen times. They are rare, and it would be my guess that they will never be produced again.

A better chance would be looking for a generic, steel receiver Featherlight Ithaca in 16. Still light, and a wonderful gun that is usually reasonably priced. There was one listed at a dealer here in the states by one of the regulars here, seem to remember a less than $500 US price. A good gun, would last a long time. The Ithacas don't seem to like the steel base cartridges, in my experience, so I don't use those in them. Keep that in mind as you look about for one.
Best,
Ted
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice. I would have a chance to shoot the gun and have a gunsmith look it over before buying. It is selling for about (US) $800 which seems a heck of a lot for a gun made in 1918....
http://www.guncity.co.nz/16ga-winchester-12-xidp125120.html
Still, when there are so few around I guess you can charge what you like!

I saw your M37 Ted and was about to PM you to see if it was still available when I saw that it had sold. So much for waiting for the right moment to buy Rolling Eyes

I'll take the Model 12 for a whirl to see what I think. I really appreciate all your help!

Ross
22-250
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Kiwishooter wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. I would have a chance to shoot the gun and have a gunsmith look it over before buying. It is selling for about (US) $800 which seems a heck of a lot for a gun made in 1918....
http://www.guncity.co.nz/16ga-winchester-12-xidp125120.html
Still, when there are so few around I guess you can charge what you like!

I saw your M37 Ted and was about to PM you to see if it was still available when I saw that it had sold. So much for waiting for the right moment to buy Rolling Eyes

I'll take the Model 12 for a whirl to see what I think. I really appreciate all your help!

Ross

Ross: Just a heads up on the gun pictured. If this is the gun that they say has the serial # you referred to, the wood is not original era. The Mod 12's built in that era had a thinner "perchbelly" stock and a thinner forearm. Yes the price is very high and as you say "Still, when there are so few around I guess you can charge what you like".
Good Luck.
Robert Smile
gunut
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:47 am  Reply with quote

More than likely you left one didget out of the serial number...if its 1709xxx then its a 1956 gun and the wood is correct for the gun but the pad is probably an add on...around here thats a 300-400 dollar gun..

txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:48 am  Reply with quote

gunut wrote:
More than likely you left one didget out of the serial number...if its 1709xxx then its a 1956 gun and the wood is correct for the gun but the pad is probably an add on...around here thats a 300-400 dollar gun..

That was my thought as well. Looks to me like the serial number is one digit less than it should be. Re-check and go with the $400 range.

Marc
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:48 am  Reply with quote

gunut wrote:

Agree entirely. If the barrel is factory marked 2 3/4" that's pretty conclusive also. Though, of course, barrels can be changed as well as wood.

It is, as they say, a horse of a different colour. Wink

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

When they emailed me the details they did leave a digit off - thanks for the heads up. I've looked at the gun and it has seen a lot of use and looks as though it has had quite a bit of work done on it - not all by a qualified 'smith.

I'll pass on this one and look to see if I can get one from the States. Even with freight I'll be getting better value and have a much wider choice.

There is fantastic value in this forum. If I had traipsed around every gun shop within driving distance I wouldn't have received the knowledge that you folk shared. Many thanks!

Ross
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like you have made the best decision in this case Ross.

It pays to check the OLD pumps for excessive headspace before you buy them as well.
Contrary to popular belief Model 12's do wear out! Especially in developing excessive headspace... Many old guns we've checked have well over max headspace readings and were still being shot without knowledge of this condition.. Once loose, more loose occurs even faster with fewer rounds fired!

Headspace is worth checking even if a gunsmith has to do it for you.

Slidehammer
ckirk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Kiwishooter wrote:

I'll pass on this one and look to see if I can get one from the States. Even with freight I'll be getting better value and have a much wider choice.

Kiwishooter,

I sent you a PM regarding a Model 12 for sale.

Chris