16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Sweet 16 and Ducks
swt16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have read many posts but still want to make sure about shooting Hevi shot in the sweet 16. Is it a definate no no or ? Sounds like Bismuth and Matrix are OK...but even if you use BP Multi metal wads, could Hevi damage a mod choke? An if someone is doing it...what hand loads do you like that cycle well.. If hevi is bad...then is bizmuth shot still availible...read something about them goin under. Thanks
jchandler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 am  Reply with quote

never shot Hevi shot but what I've read suggests it's pretty hard stuff. If you aren't comfortable shooting steel, I wouldn't try Hevi shot.

Mack's Prairie Wings catalogue that arrived this week still has Kent Tungsten Matrix available in 1 1/16 and 1 1/4oz loads of #5 and #6.
I found those work well on pheasants and decoying ducks.

Jeff
Haiwee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Hevi Shot is probably even worse for your barrel than steel. I'd stick with Tungsten Matrix or Bismuth. I've shot a lot of Bismuth through my old Model 37's to good result. Bismuth won't give you the range if either Hevi Shot or Tungsten, but if keep your shots on decoyed ducks within 35 yards or so, it's quite effective.
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I've also heard everyone is sold out of Bismuth with Bismuth, LLC's shutdown pending sale, and I haven't heard Kent's TM is back in production yet.

If you're looking to roll your own for this season, and your 16 Ga has equal or less than a modified choke, you may be stuck buying Hevishot and the special Ballistic Products wads designed for steel shot. (And their recipe's for Hevi-Shot in the 16, while you're at it.)

Otherwise, you may need to use your 12 Ga or 20 Ga this season. Sorry.....

Mike Doerner
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I don't want to start a 'dust-up' about using steel / hevi-shot etc. in older barrels but you may want to read Tom Roster's comments before you decide. The shot collum is encased in a specially designed wad with unusually abrasion resistant polymers--according to Roster the design of the wad is such that shot never contacts the barrel.
I have used steel (worthless)and hevi-shot (not so worthless and cheaper than Bismuth!) in an A-5 for a long time now--no problems and I am able to inspect my barrels with an otoscope with 10x magnification. Chokes however should be modified or more open if you elect to use these shot products.
Bismuth, T/M and Hevi-shot are appearing in various catalogues, however Kent does appear to have discontinued the 1oz. #6 loading. The 1 1/16 oz, loading of 5's along with the 1 1/4oz. Shocked oz. loading of both 5's and 6's are available in 16ga. Unfortunately, if you plan to use Hevi-shot you're going to have to 'roll-your-own'.

How about an e-mail campaign to Kent to request that they offer that 1oz. #6 load again? 1 1/4 oz. is no 16 gauge load.