16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite paper hull failures
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Just want to let everyone know, after about 5 reloadings with these hulls.
I'm starting to get case failures at the brass. Not a big deal to me, shooting break up guns. The loose hull comes right out, but if your shooting these in a pump or auto, be alert for it. Oh, this is with roll crimped loads. Can't say how long they last with a 6 point crimp.

mdoerner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Are you resizing the brass? Or is it tearing above the brass/paper junction?

Mike Doerner
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:38 am  Reply with quote

mdoerner wrote:
Are you resizing the brass? Or is it tearing above the brass/paper junction?

Mike Doerner

Mike, Yes I'm resizing the brass.
The hulls are seperating right at the brass, but it appears it is burned through. Paper is very thin and brittle at this area of seperation.

mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, not too much can be done at that point. Looks like at most 3 reloads then use 'em for hunting. If you lose the hull in the weeds it'll biodegrade faster than a plastic hull at least.....

Mike Doerner
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Your doing real good to get 5 loadings out of paper , typically you get only 2 and once in a great while 3 .

If your looking for nastalgia then paper is the way to go in 16 if your looking for economy and longivity then plastic is the only game in town .

I just got thru visiting with Mike Graf at the shoot last night and we discussed all of this and then some , I bought 25 lbs of Rex 1 and headed home to get to work no shooting for me this weekend all work and no play .

Regards Charles

PS Mike told me the 3 big ones are going to increase the prices this fall and next spring to a total of 25 percent better buy what you need now shells and all .
carpe dm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

You are shooting too much, Dave. Send the rest to me; I won't reload them as often..... Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

carpe dm wrote:
You are shooting too much, Dave. Send the rest to me; I won't reload them as often..... Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I have backed off on the paper hulls a little bit. Wink
Loading some of the new plastic hulls, plus I picked up a 20 and a 28 gauge. So, I've got some other guns to load for and shoot. Very Happy

RWG
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
carpe dm wrote:

I have backed off on the paper hulls a little bit. Wink
Loading some of the new plastic hulls, plus I picked up a 20 and a 28 gauge. So, I've got some other guns to load for and shoot. Very Happy

Dave:

We can start a new group for those 28 bore loads. I've got a mess of Cheddite hulls (Badged UMC [Rem] imported from Spain) that I have to develop data for along with Rem STS and Win AAHS hulls. Let me know if your interested in sharing ideas. Russ
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Russ:

I am still reloading the old 28 ga win AA hulls - I have about 1000 left (no once-fired though and every week I have to toss a few Crying or Very sad ). Once these are done I'm on to the HS without the line under the HS - I have about 3500 of these. Then after that I have started collecting the HS with the line under them (now corrected back to the original win AA length). That said - I'm in for the 28 gauge reloading group.

Hey Charles:

I heard through the grapevine of a 15% price increase Sept 1. Thanks for the update - I bought 15,000 wads this week, next week 10,000 primers and 16 pounds of powder. 40 bags of shot in the house. Some still at the club too.

Where do you live close enough to Mexico MO to meet up with Mike G. for a shoot - I am about 100 miles east of Mexico in IL.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

Russ & BustingClays,

Sounds like a good idea to me. I just trimmed some 28 gauge Cheddite hulls to 2-1/2" and roll crimped them. Just kinda playing around. My 28 gauge Parker has 2-1/2" chambers, so I'd kinda like to come up with a load of the proper length and pressure. Doesn't have to be roll crimped.
I really like the looks of roll crimped loads, but it's not the way to go for high volume loading. Wink

carpe dm
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Russ & BustingClays,

I really like the looks of roll crimped loads, but it's not the way to go for high volume loading. Wink

True! I have to get a small drill press, I guess, because my roll crimps are never even just doing them by hand.

Good luck with that 28 Dave; I am sure it is nice and that you will enjoy and treasure it.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:45 am  Reply with quote

carpe dm wrote:
Dave M. wrote:
Russ & BustingClays,

True! I have to get a small drill press, I guess, because my roll crimps are never even just doing them by hand.

The small drill press works great. Just buy a cheap china one for about $30.00. Set your down stop and go to town. This way all shells have a consistent crimp and the same length. Wink