16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Advise pls on sxs shooter
swt16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

I could use some advise on a good sxs for hunting. Having learned the joy of using a classic lightweight sxs over a pointer, it looks like the swt16and Citori will take a back seat to a new 16. This will be a chukar, huns, quail gun so I need something durable an under 7lbs. I have an old flues but it has the stock drop problem and is 2 1/2". I think a straighter stock with 2 3/4 camber would be a better. OK so here is the question: Would a gun like this LC Smith on
www.gulfcoastguns.com/1149.htm for $800.00 be a good choice or do I need to spend more $..I see may guns in the $1,200 to 1,500 range.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Hey swt16:

I bought a 1946 FW LC Smith 16 ga last year for $1100 that looks pretty similar to the one you highlight. Mine has 28 inch barrels and was full and fuller.

A trip to Mike Orlen to extend the forcing cones and open the chokes to ic and light mod and I shot her over pointing labs for quail and pheasant - great experience.

However, I developed a split behind the top safety tang and the gun is off being fixed right now - also adding a leather covered pad.

have fun and good luck.

Dr. 16 Gauge
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

That doesn't look like Smitty field grade checkering on the stock to me, plus the stock and forend look to be different colors, at least in the pics. Bet the stock's been replaced. Not necessarily a bad thing on a shooter but thought I'd point it out. There are L.C. guys here that can tell you lots more than me. Good luck!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Like you, I bought my 16 Lefever with 30" barrels for chukars, huns, and phez in WA/OR. On the outside looking in, that LC looks like a great deal. Great wood, good dimensions, and most importantly, the barrels look to be in good shape. 16 Lefevers are hard to find (I spent $2k on mine), so anything under a grand seems like a steal to me.