16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  525 citori field
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:39 am  Reply with quote

I was just surfing the web for to see if any of the new 16 ga Citori's hit the market yet. I looked at the Bill Hanus site. He is advertising the new 2007 lot to be delivered this Fall. He is asking $2295 for a 525 Field. I checked another site www.blueridgeoutdoorsports.com. They list a new 2006 525 Field for $1995. If they still have them, it's a good buy. Maybe the Bill Hanus gun has better wood or something. I bought a 16 gauge Lightning from these guys three years ago. They were good to deal with.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

For whatever its worth, I know 2 hunting buddies of mine that own 525 Fields as their primary upland guns. Both of them say they are the best pheasant killing machines ever invented. Having hunted with both of them right after their purchases, I can't argue. They both killed everything they flushed stone dead. Both wore grins from ear to ear and would not shut up about how great these 525's are. Now they won't be real populay from a weight standpoint on this site, nevertheless they are easy guns to shoot accurately because they swing so nice. Add to that, they look pretty good too. They are a durable, beautifull well made gun that kills clay birds real well too. Personally, I'm a lover of the XS Skeet as a dual purpose scattergun-especially the older Ultra XS guns as they were available with non ported and non vented mid ribs which are both a bit of a pain in the arse in the field (for cleaning mainly). Currently, the only shotgun I have left in my once proud and versatile arsenal is an Ultra XS 30"bbl 28GA. This was due to my unfortunate and long bout of unemployment which has by the grace of God, ended. Soon I will pick up another 12 and 16GA blaster. The 12GA will hopefully be either an XS, GTS or 525 (All Steel, dual purpose guns) and the 16GA some rendition of an American Classic SXS (either an LC Smith or Parker Trojan or VH. Good luck with your gun hunt and you can't go wrong with a 525 anything, as they are excellent, dual purpose Brownings. Usually good wood too and slightly bbl heavy whcih many folks shoot better along with modern stock dimensions. My friends paid 1795.00 for their 525 fields last year from Kesselrings gunshop in Bow, Washington. The XS's start at about 2100.00. I paid 1695.00 for a very slightly used 28GA ultra XS with a Beretta hard case, quick change choke wrench and 4 Briley extended tube chokes - a fair deal indeed. Shot my best scores to date on 5-stand with it.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations on the job situation, my brother. I've handled the 525 in 28 and 67 bores and they swing real nice. If you can handle the weight, I say get it!
4Brittanys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a 16 ga 525 Sporting from John's Sports Center in Pittsburg Kansas (ask for Adam). Pd $2500. Has 32" barrels. They also had a field with 28" tubes. They feel great and I can't wait to get on the course with mine this weekend.
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I bought my 525 from Bill Hanus last year. The first shot out of the gun slowed a big South Dakota rooster down and the second one dropped him.

Was I happy or what?

Unfortunately I was having problems with my reloads for some unknown reason so I had to use my Light 12 ga. A5 for the rest of the trip. that's not going to happen again.

The gun is great at skeet, fair to middlin' at trap and, as I mentioned, lethal on roosters.

In a few weeks there will be a couple of limits of doves to add to the list.

I'm very pleased with the gun and I would recommend it highly.
n8586m
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Check out Kones Koner in South Dakota. I got a new 525 16 ga. field last November for $1750. Get their web site form Google.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

hi folks!

I have a few 16's and just bought a 525 field, I paid $2095 for it. Great gun, I got lucky and found a local Browning distributor who had several different model Citori 16's in stock so I got to pick & choose. I just shot my first 100 rounds through it the other day, and I was extremely pleased.

Normally I'd be happy to say where I got it and will if anyone is interested, but this is my first post and I don't want people to think I just signed up to plug a gun shop.
cavjock
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

First post here, but I've been lurking on and off for a couple of years. Great info. Always been a big 16 ga. fan as that was my first gun (Dad gave me his Model 12 16). Reading this topic and an experience at Gander Mountain this weekend led me to finally post and ask a question.

I was browsing through the guns at my local Gander Mountain and noticed two almost identical 525 Field models in 16 (I assume 2006 models). One w 26" barrels for $1499 and the other w 28" barrels for $1999. The bad news was the display models were the only ones in stock and those were slightly dinged up (but they were 5% off the sticker). The good news was they had 5 of the 26" models nation wide still in the box.

I really liked the way both guns felt but liked the 26's feel better. So I did a bit of research on the difference in the two barrel lengths (all types of modern shotguns) and came to the conclusion that there is little if any difference outside of feel (Heard mostly line of sight arguments but those were inconsistent. Range/reach seemed to be a moot point with modern ammo. Pattern seemed to be pretty much the same. Feel was what most people were pointing to.). End result, I ordered one of the 26" models to arrive next week. BTW - This gun will be used mostly for dove and quail with an occasional jump shooting of ducks.

That brings me to my two questions?

It sound like this is a reasonably good buy on a 2006 525 Field. Is it?

Comments here on the difference in a 26 vs 28 inch 525 (I hope it isn't worth $500)?
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about the 525 specificly, But I can say that if you like it and it fits you and handles well, then the 26 " is the way to go. For me personaly I shoot a 26" over and under well. But when it comes to a s&s I can't seam to keep the frount end of a 26" barell down( I shoot high). A 28" or even 30" fit me much better. I think I just need the extra weight out frount. Or maybee my right arm is just too strong(left handed).
I would deffenitly go with what ever fits me best, regarless of the price. I doubt there is any difference in quality, being they are the same model and gauge.
Ben
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 12 ga O/U with 26" barrels, and the Citori I just bought has 28" barrels. I debated the 26" vs. 28" issue for quite a while, and I've decided that I'm better off with the 28". It feels to me that I swing the longer barrels more smoothly and follow though better.

I think it has more to do with balance, and how the gun fits.

I'm absolutely delighted with my Citori, I'm sure you'll love yours!