16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  B&P F2 Classic shells
Draht guy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I just picked up a couple of boxes of these in 16ga. 1 1/16 oz #6s. Wondering what others experiences with these shell are. Guy at the store recommended them over the more expensive shells I had in my hand.

I'll use them on phez, sharptails, huns and perhaps a sage hen. Store also stocks #7s, I'm thinking of picking up a box or two for quail and grouse hunting.

Thanks,
Kevin

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Great shells Kevin. Keep in mind Italian 6s are .1065" and US are .11", so they're sorta 6 1/2s. The B&P 5s are closer to US 6s. They are not low pressure, and recoil (to me but I'm a recoil wimp) about like 1 1/8 oz loads.

woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Draht---Have used B&P, mostly the 7's for Gray Partridge and Sharptails. Pretty good fodder. Hot. Highly polished shot that runs about 6% antimony. I expect you'll be pleased with your 6's for early ditchers--maybe 5's later on?
Reloading those hulls is problematic--few recipes although I expect that'll eventually change.
Buy 'em now as it's unlikely they'll get less expensive.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Kevin, I have some of the newer (green hull) F2's in 7 shot and they are really 7.5's in count and diameter. Nice loads, but a bit smaller in shot size than I was looking for. I'll use them on grouse and they'll be a good load.

Got your Draht pup lined up yet? I really like this pup I have from Lynn Whitely.

Dave
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Here's the B&P shot size chart, but it's from 05' and things could have changed
http://www.bandpusa.com/files/productguide-USA-2005.pdf
Woodcock has graciously offered to sample 1 pellet from each shell in 6 cases, in sizes from 4 to 9, in order to provide a statistically valid result Wink

Draht guy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports guys. The local sportshop carries a great selection of 16 ga. shells -- I feel fortunate to have such a shop nearby. I guess some guys travel 2-3 hours to buy ammo there.

I have some Golden Pheasant 5s. I think I'll go pick up a couple boxes of B&P 5s just to have them around. Better to have too much ammo than not enough, right?

Thanks for the link, revdocdrew. I found another chart similar to that but it's nice to see one from the manufacturer.

Dave, my hulls are the green ones as well. I'll find out soon if the breeding took this time. I've been helping some guys out here train. I can't wait to get going with my own pup. It will be weird not chasing ruffies all day and pulling ticks at night. I'll miss the woods.

Thanks again for the reports fellas. I figured the shells had to be decent when a store worker steered me away from a more expensive product to the B&Ps.

Any other users out there?

Kevin

nutcase
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:45 am  Reply with quote

B&P USA is currently out of F2 16ga shells. They said it would be six weeks before the next shipment arrives. According to their website prices will be going up quite a bit, but didn't specify how much. I ordered two cases today at the current price. They said they would hold the current price until the end of August.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a case of 2.5" 12 ga from B&P USA and they now offer free shipping. I believe that I received the shells in about 5 business days. You might want to check them out.