16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  I almost didn't get my Ithaca 37
broomhandle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the early 80's I walked in the OGCA Gun Show, then held in Columbus, Ohio. I immediately laid eyes on a mint 16 gauge mdl 37 serial #663363 made in 1957 with a price tag of $120. I was looking for a 26" open bore barrel for quail hunting. The barrel was a matching 28" full choke. I told the gentleman selling it that if the barrel was more to my liking, I would have bought it. When I had wandered to the other end of the show, it finally dawned on me that my conclusion wasn't too well thought out. I briskly walked back to the table and was relieved it was still there. I quickly bought it and then acquired a new 26" "old model" barrel through the Gun List from an individual that had bought most of the barrels from the then defunct Ithaca Co. I sent him the receiver to fit the new barrel on and am so happy I have it. It's a field grade with straight grain walnut but it has an action like no other, plus the bonus of 2 barrels.

chorizo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

I am sure you were glad you came to your senses. I had the luck of stumbling onto one after winning a Ruger SP101 in 38 special in a Friends of the NRA raffle. When I went to pick up the pistol, the shop had a pristine 26" mod choked model 37 in 16 ga on the rack. The owner said he would trade straight up, but "couldn't offer me anything extra in the trade other than 7 or 8 old boxes of 16 ga shells" he had laying around. He had to grab me to keep me from leaping across the counter to get the shotgun!

It is now my son's as I have a model 12 16 ga with two barrels I picked up at a pawn shop for cheap.

Let the world keep thinking the 16 ga is dead while I buy the weapons!