16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  All Hunting and no posting makes this a dull board?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:12 am  Reply with quote

There is no Winter in Montana that can stand up to a little Southern Comfort. It makes it feel just like Summer. Wink
Ron
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:04 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to head out tomorrow after pats for the first hunt of the year, with my new Ugartechea 16 and some handloaded spreader loads. I have no expectations, as I will be going to a new area on the brushy westside of WA., but sometimes new areas hold great surprises Very Happy

Put and take pheasant opens the end of the month too, and of course the general upland opener is a month away here in WA. I can't wait.
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Im gnawing my fingers waiting for early teal & wood duck season at the end of this month...dove wont open up till the first weekend in October.

Tried to get the monkey off my back by doing a little marsh hen hunting in the saltmarsh, but thats a place for my little Remmy 870 20ga, NOT my new Sweet 16... Ive got a special wood duck hole set aside for her first hunt!
rudyc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Got out dove hunting this afternoon. Brought the 16ga Sauer hammer gun loaded with roll crimp, low pressure, 7.5's. Way too hot and lots of skeeters. Called it a day after about 1.5 hrs. Missed 9, took home 4, lots of welts and a hot Water Spaniel. Better days are coming.

This was my first time out since WI re-classified the dove from song bird to game bird. I think we're going to enjoy dove hunting.

rudyc
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I finally made it out dove hunting this past Monday after a 5 year break from hunting the birds. We (dad, my brother, and I) were granted permission to hunt a new place just down the road from were we started hunting doves in the 80's. The old place is a sub-division now!

There were plenty of birds traveling through the natural funnel we were hunting. However, we started off shooting very poorly. Like 1/2 a box (just me!) and 2 birds poorly. It was the first time that I shot the Citori after having a decelerator pad put on. I finally remembered the lead and ended up going 8/10 to fill out the game bag.

We only bagged 16 birds total but, that just meant that we got to rib eachother a little more. Very Happy

Brad
powderburn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 am  Reply with quote

Well I've only been out once but got into a pretty hot shoot and had a good day. I started out with my citioi and didn't do too well. My wife bought me this gun for my 50th birthday a couple of years ago and I just haven't gotten the hang of it . Anyway got 6 birds with the 1st box of shells. I then switched to a little 20ga. Mossberg pump I bought for $150. It is a 60's vintage gun with a walnut stock and 28" modified plain barrel. I thought it would be a handy knock about and loaner. Anyway I thought I'd try it out as I had never shot it. Hit the 1st 4 birds I shot at and finished my limit out shooting 9 birds in 14 shots. Go figure.
I'm going to have to go to the range and pattern board with the o/u and figure where I'm hitting with the thing. My shooting has been abysmal since I got it and I can't quite figure out what's wrong. The fit doesnt seem that bad and at times I'll string 3-4 good shots and then go 0 for 10 with it. Like I said it was a pretty special gift and is a beautiful gun. I would really like to bond with this thing.

wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Was out near Dublin in the morning, home of the oldest Dr. Pepper bottling plant. Very thin, so the boy and I headed to the backup spot South of Big D for the afternoon, and limited out. His first doves: he with the camo Benelli SBE 12, me with the Arrieta 16 and my 7/8 reloads.

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Opening day for doves found me at 7600 feet here in Colorado. There were not a whole lot of birds around on Saturady and it took until 2 pm to get a limit (15 here in Colorado). The fiber wad/Bismuth/non-tox loads I created seemed to work fine. They are, in fact, toxic to doves. See below:

The aesthetically challenged (that would be TerryB and RevDD) will, I’m sure, forgive me for including a 2x4 of a shotgun in the photo!

There were fewer birds about on Sunday morning. After missing three incomers in a row, I figured it would be nice to get home at 3 pm instead of 6 pm. So I headed home.

Paul
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hunted a Maryland cut corn field last Saturday. Lots of birds but our shooting was poor.Still had a great time with my Parker 16ga. Have a few weeks yet to improve the shooting skills! Going to give it another go tomorrow with decoys. Bob