16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  BPS field review
Roper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Last weekend I finally got to take the new BPS to the woods. As I've said in other posts the gun just seems to fit me well. It comes to point easily and the raised rib keeps me in line on the bird. I haven't noticed the weight being much different than my other shotguns. So when I got back I decided to weigh them all.

BPS: 7lbs 1oz
870 16: 6lbs 10oz
870 28: 6lbs 2oz
Citori 12: 7lbs 5oz
Rizzini sxs: 6lbs 10oz

On to the action part of the review. I came up to a group of blues at a bend in the trail. They were uphill of me a bit and as they rose I hit the first one with 7 1/2's. It dropped but started to fly again as I aimed at number two. Number two dropped like a rock. Number one was struggling to gain some elevation but couldn't land in the fir limb it was headed for and dropped.
Of course it dropped on the far side of the ravine with thick brush in between. I manged to get to the general area and actually find it. Yes, I hunt without a dog, something that's going to change in the future.

Being choked with IC the 7 1/2's didn't have much punch at about 30 yards or so. I may change to 6's or Mod choke as the season moves on. Shells were right at my feet, no need to look around for them as with my 870's. The gun cycles flawlessly and the trigger pull isn't even noticed with deerskin gloves on. This gun's a keeper for sure and the third round is a bonus when a bunch of birds flush.

Here's the days harvest...

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Very nice.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Man, all you guys running into blues in WA. I live here and I'm jealous Very Happy
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Roper: Thanks for following up with a field report. Sounds like the BPS 16 is a fine uplander. Nice work on the blues, too. Makes me realize the ruffs and blues here aren't getting anywhere near the attention they deserve ...
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Nice write up. Good to hear something positive about the 16 bore BPS. Mine still hasn't arrived at my dealer. Should be here anytime. You will find 6's work much better than 7 1/2's on blues (in your case) and ruffs (in my case) Nice pic too!

cheers Darryl

Scolari
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Roper, I am not disputing the advice about using #6 shot but you might try some of the B&P #7'shot. I have killed some big birds at some long distances with them. I have measured the shot and they are true #7's.They make a 1 1/16oz load at about 1280 fps for the 16 gauge. The 7's put a lot more shot in the pattern.I usually use 7's in the IC and 6's in the Modified barrel. Right now, they are offering free shipping.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:15 am  Reply with quote

BP is offering free shipping on shot? I've always wanted to try #7's. I bet they would be great on chukars and huns too.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am  Reply with quote

I think you're confusing B&P, the Italian ammo company, with BP, Ballistic Products, the American loading supply outfit. Shocked

I would be shocked indeed if BP offered anything "free".

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Oh ok, that makes sense. Reloading is becoming prohibitively expensive, what with the price of shot going through the roof anyway.
nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Scolari is referring to B&P shells. Ground shipping is included when buying by the case, which I believe is the only way they'll sell them.

I have a case each of 5's and 7's ordered.