16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rem 31L
ontheroad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all, new member of the group here - I recently became the owner of a couple of older shotguns, one of which is a Remington 31L in 16-gauge.

I started doing some research on its history and wound up here. According to Remington it was manufactured in 1950. Serial numbers on the barrel and receiver match up. There is only minor scratching on the receiver and the barrel and stock are in great shape. Really not bad for a 57-year old gun!

I suppose my questions would be about how common the 31L is, and probably the value as it will likely be offered up for sale soon. Being more of a rifle shooter than a shotgun shooter, I figure it would be better off in the hands of someone who will do more than just lock it up in a safe, which is where it will probably end up if I keep it.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-OTR

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:57 am  Reply with quote

31Ls don't turn up all that often. Yours is the base model, a plain, reliable shotgun. They could be had in ascending grades, all the way up to out of this world. The L stands for lightweight, with an alloy receiver. Several times I've read people opine that an alloy receiver is evil, but, I haven't seen a problem with the 31s. Good, everyday shooters, but, its best to avoid the daisy-cutter 1 1/4 ounce 16 gauge loads.

I avoid those loads anyway, even in a 12 gauge.

That said, I hope you aren't expecting your first million on this gun. I've seen examples sell for $185-225 in the last couple of seasons. Just me, I'm sure, but, I think it is a far better 16 ga. gun than what you can buy today, either a leftover 870, or the BPS.

If you advertise here, someone will snap it up.

Best,
Ted

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Good hunting gun---Put that on the board here and it will dissapear quicker than a dozen donuts in front of Rosie O'donnell Very Happy
ontheroad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
31Ls don't turn up all that often. Yours is the base model, a plain, reliable shotgun. They could be had in ascending grades, all the way up to out of this world...

...That said, I hope you aren't expecting your first million on this gun. I've seen examples sell for $185-225 in the last couple of seasons. Just me, I'm sure, but, I think it is a far better 16 ga. gun than what you can buy today, either a leftover 870, or the BPS.

If you advertise here, someone will snap it up.

Best,
Ted

LOL< if someone wants to give me a million for it I'll drive out and deliver it personally with a complimentary 12-pack of Guinness and a basket of fruit! I'd do the same for a half-million, only no fruit.

But really, I suppose I'm just trying to find out what a fair market value on it would be before I formally offer it up. I've seen the 12ga versions up on GB for 300+ but it doesn't look like they sell too fast, if at all...but OTOH 12ga is kind of a dime a dozen. I'd hate to ask too much and listen to the crickets chirp, but by the same token I don't want to sell myself short.