16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  That vintage clothing look ...
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:02 am  Reply with quote

By the way, the M 1912 cavalry breeches arrived yesterday from whatpriceglory.com, along with the 16-inch Maine hunting boots from LL Bean. I am very pleased with the fit and quality of both. Can't wait to get some aspen leaves and grouse feathers on them.
robp
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Vintage clothing is cool in the right setting but I think you may limit your hunting opportunities, knocking on some mid western farmers door dressed like a "puffer". Or you may get more than you bargined for Aka Ned Beatty in deliverance!

Although if you're dress in knickers and a tweed sport coat to hunt you probably don't need to ask permission, you've either leased all the hunting property in the county out from under the locals or you own it yourself.

Filson is great stuff. I am still wearing my dads tin pants he purchased at the original Dicks sporting goods in New York State around 1952. Imo I think its a hard item to beat for mid to late fall hunting especially layered with a pair of capline long under wear. Mine are pretty beat up looking and kinda smell but are still weather proof. I heard Ralph Lauren of polo bought them an are presently farming out their product for manufacture over seas- gotta love nafta -it's a crying shame
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 am  Reply with quote

clarkia wrote:
I'm not one to go with the vintager look - trying a bit hard and contrived if you ask me and it seems that it's more about dressing up and impressing the folks at the range than taking an armed hike and getting dirty... to each their own i guess.?

Big difference between "vintager" and "vintage"; I'm not much interested in the British fop look, but I do like the honest American sportsman look of the 30's-40's (plus it's practical). Besides, the younger fellas here need to remember: some of us are old enough that it ain't vintage to us; it's normal Laughing !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Broad shouldered and a bit cocky Yank vs. the fop Cool

Baden Powell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Well, fop or not, I sure like the comfort of these breeches. I used to wonder why they made them so baggy in the thigh, but talk about freedom of movement and comfort seated. Of course, they were perfect for mounted wear. I don't own anything in tweed that I would care to hunt in, as my sport coats are cut too close for an easy swing on a bird, and the tough old Filson whipcord will handle briars much better.
As I said before, I'm not trying to fit in on a Scottish grouse drive. Just want to recall the style of my grandfather's era in the good old U.S. of A.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote

This fella is no fop Very Happy (and has good taste in dogs!)

Nor is this gentleman

budrichard
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

BTW, where were the breeches made?
Filson will make any garment for you even if it is not on the website. It will cost a premium but if you want something they used to make, get it now. My single tin shirt was ordered that way.
The Holding company that owns Ralph Lauren purchased Filson and put the former owner on the Board of Directors. This guy had basically resurrected Filson from the ashes in the late 1980's. I emailed the current President of Filson and he replied that he too was concerned over the quality of Filson and outsourcing but was non-committal. It's just a matter of time before they can both the former owner and President, source all production off shore and ruin what was a fine company. Of course profits will increase ala 'Eddie Bauer', people will make money, workers will get the shaft.-Dick
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Totally agree here with the concerns about the outsourcing of Filson manufacturing of their clothing and other hunting products. I hate to see this too and have several Filson items that will likely outlast me at this rate. Shame to see a great American company and good American jobs fade away like this.

A question arises then. Will the offshore/outsourcing of production for Filson products cause you to pass over their products?

Tough question for me, particularly when trying to save $ for guns and hunting trips and other things. I would hope that I would think about it.

KB
robp
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

I try to support companies that manufacture goods in the usa but its pretty hard especially in the garment industry. I guess a quality product is a quality product
which is what attracted me to filson in the first place- quaility materials combined with quality engineering trump where a product is made for my hard earned dollars

I look in my gun cabinet and my made in the usa firearms consist of revolvers,pistols, bolt action rifles and a couple pre 64 shotguns saddly my scatters guns that I prefer to shoot and hunt with are made over seas and they out number the others 3 to 1

I think I am pretty lucky to live and work in the usa especially in the upper mid west. I can go to the gun store and buy any gun I want, buy a hunting licence and head out with my gwp to some public land and I have a real good chance of bagging some game. I do'nt need to be some blue blood or have a title with my name Its my god given right
Roper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

All right Baden, stop spouting off and let's see Yer new shootin' threads. That's right, have someone snap a photo or two and post 'em up. OK?

Wink

I'll throw on my duds next weekend up at the property and do the same...
budrichard
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

"A question arises then. Will the offshore/outsourcing of production for Filson products cause you to pass over their products?"

Answer, yes!

For Filson prices I expect quality workmanship made in the US.
What is in fact actually occuring is that companies can source products offshore, keep the same prices and increase profits. I can purchase Beretta clothing not manufactured in Italy at half the cost of Filson and for the lighter garments, at the same quality level. Even Beretta is sourcing production everywhere. I just sent back an SO10 jacket because contrary to the advert, there are zippers hiding under the flaps. The jacket is supposed to not scratch guns, but it appears only with the coat fully zipped! Anyway this is a expensive garment and made in Romania!
In short, I will pay a premium in price for quality items manufactured in the US. But when the manufacturing is taken offshore and the price stays the same, I won't.-Dick
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Roper: The fedora is due in tomorrow and the Filson should be in from the dry cleaners any day. When I put her all together, I'll post a photo. Maybe I will even include by worthless Brittany, Watson, and make it look as though I hvae a fine bird dog ...
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Well be sure and put a pipe in yer mouth Lieutenant-General Very Happy