16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Firing pin problems
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

My nephews new Uggie is hard to open with can be expected of a new gun but it also is leaving a burr on some primers. It happens randomly and in both barrels. Anybody have an suggestions as to why and what to do? Here's a fuzzy pic of one of the primers.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
berg
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

An impression like that suggest that the firing pin is sticking out and dragging across the primer as the action is opened. That it happens randomly and in both barrels is kind of the puzzler. My first thought is that there is some crap in the firing pin channels that is binding them. If it was a mechanical problem or something was bent/peened it would be consistent and much more likely to be only one barrel.
You say it is a new gun, so I would be inclined to think tiny metal pieces from the machining of the action mixed in with the lube, and firing/cocking the action working stuff around until it packs in enough to bind, then when they are sticking out and pressure applied sideways (causing the drag impression on the primers) it loosens up enough to hide the problem for a while.
You didn't say where he got it, but if he can take it back and have them check it out and clean it, that would probably take care of the problem.
If taking it back in for warranty service isn't practical for him/you and you are comfortable pulling the stock, it can probably be taken care of with a can of gunscrubber/brake cleaner to flush it out and relube it. If this doesn't take care of it then there is something else causing those pins to hang up.

berg

Of course, it could just be those cheap plastic shells Laughing

Seriously, I used Activ 5 shot in my 12 gauge for several years for pheasants, really liked them. I think I still have a box or two stashed away somewhere.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Berg. We're headed up north to the state between the lakes in the morning and taking the gun with us but will have a backup gun along. Gun was bought from LCS & we only live about an hour away so returning it for a fix won't be much of a problem.

Rick

Hey I've got a real nice stash Laughing of them Activ hulls in 16 ga. Their easily my favorite hull to reload.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Even new Browning's have metal in the action/trigger group Evil or Very Mad I would also go with taking it apart/clean/relube/reassemble and see what happens Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Obviously, this should not be happening. It could be dirt, guck, or steel shavings. It could be caused by too long pin noses sticking in the primers, improperly fit strikers, weak retracter springs,. or poorly machined striker channels. I'd not shoot the gun until the gun is fixed. If you don't have the problem cleaned up, you will eventually snap the firing pin noses right off. The leverage on the pin noses could also cause some peening in the striker channels. Then they will really gt stuck until you have the channels cleaned up and polished. If the gun is new. send it in for warranty service. If it's used, ask the seller to help pay for the labor. I'd strongly advise not waiting to see what happens. It won't be good.

PS, the pin impressions look awfully deep to me. My guess is the pin noses might be too long. That is easy to check. Pull the barrels, and snap the pins against a hard wood block. Leave them sticking out of the firing pin holes. Thety should protrude about .055". If they are longer by more than a couple of thousanths, that is the problem. Have a gunsmith stone them back and properly radiused to a half round shape. That should fix things if it is the problem.
berg
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Everything 16GG said is also quite possible, especially the possibility of damage if the gun is fired much like this. I was suggesting one likely culprit, and the easiest/cheapest one to take care of, if it was not covered by warranty. LCS should check it out. Let us know what happens.

berg