16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Want to Start Reloading
gjw
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, well I think I want to start reloading for my 16ga guns. I don't know much about it however. So I need your help. I'm not looking for high production, just for hunting loads and target loads. So the question is:

What equipment do I need to get started (I know a good book on the subject will be the first)?

Whats a good reloader (kind of on the cheap here)?

Where is a good source for componants and the reloader?

Anything to get started.

Please bear with me, I'm looking for this on the cheap as I said.

Thanks so very much!!!

Greg
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Get yourself a MEC 600 or Sizemaster.A good scale-RCBS doesn't have to be a high dollar one--and a good book on reloading shotshells-Lyman.Contact MEC for a free starter booklet www.mecreloaders.com
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Reloading is a good past time and gives one a lot of control over what is shot. Now with that said I would like to add the down side. Having run the numbers for a one ounce load(lead),primer,powder, wad,and hull I came out with $5.75 a box. This based on the prices at Sportsman warehouse and doesn't count the initial start up of press,scale, and bushings. I have enjoyed it for years and won't let the cost keep me from my hobby but it is a thought to ponder.
Best,
Ron
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:13 am  Reply with quote

You won't find anything less expensive than this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=750550&t=11082005

trust me
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

If you shoot every weekend in volume and plan to buy your components in bulk, then you may save a few bucks. 28 gauge shooters can save quite a bit due to the high cost of factory shells as well. But for the average shooter that runs through a few boxes on skeet and then a few boxes during the season, it's not really cost effective. I do it because I have my father's 50's vintage Mec 250 and it's a fun past time, but I'm not saving any money when you figure in my time spent at the reloading bench.

The cost of your start up equipment can be lowered quite a bit by buying used. I see stuff advertised on these boards all the time, and I hear there's stuff on Ebay and other online auctions all the time. Keep your eye out for a good used press at half the price of a new.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 am  Reply with quote

trust me wrote:
...and it's a fun past time, but I'm not saving any money when you figure in my time spent at the reloading bench.

How much do you charge yourself per hour for any of your other hobbies? Or sitting in front of you computer monitor, for that matter?

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

One advantage is that you can craft premium loads without paying $12-13 for ammo such as Fiocchi GPs. It also provides a lot of flexibility in loadings which are not available at any cost. A single-stage press and a powder scale are the most costly factors, but these can be obtained used at very reasonable cost. The hulls are always problematic in 16ga but are available from outfits like BPI. I already had a lot of eqpt from my rifle/pistol loading days, so I picked up a P-W 375 press from eBay which makes outstanding ammo. You want to buy shot and primers locally because the shipping is awful on both. If you don't already have hulls, you will have to order them and probably wads as well. And joining the Low Pressure Reloading Group is a good idea too.

In the final analysis, it gives me a real sense of pride when I make a well-crafted shell and use it to take game.

Hc

trust me
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

onefunzr2 wrote:
trust me wrote:
...and it's a fun past time, but I'm not saving any money when you figure in my time spent at the reloading bench.

How much do you charge yourself per hour for any of your other hobbies? Or sitting in front of you computer monitor, for that matter?

One thing's for sure: if I charged myself for labor, it would by the box, and not by the hour! Confused

One's time is one's most precious commodity. With 3 kids, 3 dogs and several civic obligations, I sometimes find myself weeks or months between loading sessions, and shooting sessions too for that matter. I do it for the fun of it, and the pride of it, not for the cost effectiveness of it. If cost were the driving issue, I'd drive to Wal-Mart and buy the 16 ga Game loads at 4 or 5 bucks a box, and be done with it.

Gordon Setter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I just started reloading 16ga. myself. Does any one have a recommendation for powder for a 1 oz. load for sporting clays.
flyline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Look at the loads that use Unique. Great for sporting loads in 1 oz.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Universal is a good choice for 1 oz.
If low pressure is important to you, try Solo 1250.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."