16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pressure limits for Ithaca Western Arms
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Do I need to be concerned about the pressure of cartridges in a 1929 Western Arms 16 gauge? The gun came with 2 3/4" chambers. I do not currently have any hulls and was wondering if any brand of American factory one ounce load would be fine to shoot in the gun so I can stockpile hulls for reloading. When it comes time to reload is there a pressure limit lower than the SAAMI maximum that I should consider max for that gun?

Skip

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Skip: I agree with John Mann's post on DoubleGunBBS. Western Arms guns are solid utility grade boxlocks and should be fine with the standard 16g 1 oz at 1165 fps load. Personally, I've found the Federal Game Shok load to recoil a bit less than the Winchester Game Load, and much less than the Remington which is at 1200 fps.
As stated many times before, lower the pressure to save the action; lower the shell's weight and speed to lower recoil, and your almost 80 year old wood, and your shoulder, would very much appreciate 7/8 oz loads.

jig
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

If it were me I'd stay below 8,000, there really isn't any need for a handloader to load up higher than that anyway with the right recipe. You can easily load up an ounce of the shot of your choice and have a fine upland load. I'm loading an ounce load for my light Belgian 12GA that's below 8000psi with IMR 7526. PB is another powder with which low pressure loads can be made. Many folks use PB. These low pressure loads, especially when loaded up with some hard, nickel plated shot, don't miss a beat on most opportunities. They pattern nice and tight and uniform too.
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I posted at Doublegun first but hadn't gotten any replies so I thought I would double up here to increase my odds of getting an answer. In my loading data I see a 6,600 psi one ounce load with Solo 1000. I bought some of that to load 7/8 ounce lods in 2 1/2" Fiocchi hulls for my older gun. Maybe I will get a flat of one ounce (or 7/8 oz if they are available) Fiocchis. I can reload some full length for the Ithaca and trim some for the other gun. Reloading would use the same components including the same bushing and all I would need to do is take the short kit plate out of my press. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive source for Fiocchi cartridges?

Skip

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Like everyone, Graf & Sons Fiocchi ammo has gone WAY up Confused
http://www.grafs.com/ammo/394