16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shell find at Big R
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Stopped at a Big R store at Morris, Ill., last night on the wayback to the 'burbs from from my hometown. I think Big R is the central Illinois equivalent of Rural King.

Anyway, they had four flats of Rem GLs in 7.5. Bought 'em all. Price was a little shy of $6 per pox, but I've got plenty of 8s for clay games but not many 7.5s, and I have a hard time finding the 7.5s locally. (They had 8s in stock, too, though.)

Sporting goods manager was cute. Three of the flats were still in their cartons, but the fourth was loose. She dropped a box. I suggested I rebox them for her and told her it was easier if you alternate the direction of the shells. She gave me a "Listen, bub" look and said, "I know. I'm not your average girl. In fact, I manage sporting goods." As she finished reboxing the shells and putting a tab of tape on each end of the box, she went on to tell me she shoots a 20. She knew quite a bit about shells. Petite and darling young lady. If I didn't have 20 years on her, I'd have asked her to marry me.

The other young lady at the service counter said she's going deer hunting for the first time this year. I complimented her on the store and the stock (I'd picked up some other hunting/gunning goodies and duds), and she said, "And we're pretty good about ordering things, too."

Hmm. May have found a new shell source. Sixteen gauge shells in stock and cute, small-town girls who shoot and hunt. How can you not love it? Wink

Last edited by MGF on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
sothere
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:09 am  Reply with quote

This thread is useless without pic's Cool
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

True dat. Maybe next time I'm down that way, I'll see if can talk the women of the Big R in Morris, Ill., into posing for a shot next to the GLs. They'll become the darlings of the 16 gauge set. Who wouldn't want that honor? Razz
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Tell you what, that's one thing I love about living in a rural area...many of the ladies I know are just the way you describe....and a number of them work for me....

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 pm  Reply with quote

I hear you, Wolfchief. While I've a good job, great employees and family nearby, I really don't like living as close as I do to the city of Chicago. People are largely just people, and I seem to get along fine up here, but I miss small-town/downstate life very much.

I guess I was spoiled by growning up in a little town of about 5,500. It was about a mile or so walk from our door to the sloughs of Illinois River. We never lacked for fishing or hunting grounds, and it was no biggie to leave your gun (or your traps) in your car or pickup at school. Back then, a teacher might ask to borrow your pocket knife, not throw you out of school for having one. It was truly another age, I suppose, but I still wouldn't mind getting back downstate some day.

At one newspaper (Peoria, Ill., Journal Star) we could and did fill a trap or skeet squad of just newsroom guys. Here, there's me and one other wingshooter in the entire organization. It's downright depressing some days.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

As a fellow Illinoisian there is a HUGE difference in the attitudes of the folks in this state.Seems like once north of Rt 36 the less friendly and pro gun/hunting the become. Evil or Very Mad I won't even get on my soapbox here but let me leave it at this----keep me in Southern Illinois Wink