16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  decion approaches - breed selection, train or trained???
blathens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Alan, I wouldn't be too worried about the dogs Mike has imported from the Czech Republic. If they were imported as adults and tested and approved there they are very good dogs. I have imported adult PP bitches from the same breeder and trainer in Czech and they all have been superb dogs that produced excellent pups when bred to the right stud. I would be more cautious of the NAVHDA test scores on his own dogs. He NEVER tests anywhere but the Toronto Chapter which is held on his grounds. I am sure it is because of convenience but I would be more impressed with scores from amateur handlers and a variety locations. However, at this point, it is pretty hard to get a bad PP regardless of the breeding. All breeders are trying to produce the best PP pups they can and there isn't much in the way of bad genetics.........YET.

Bill
blathens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Alan, I wouldn't be too worried about the dogs Mike has imported from the Czech Republic. If they were imported as adults and tested and approved there they are very good dogs. I have imported adult PP bitches from the same breeder and trainer in Czech and they all have been superb dogs that produced excellent pups when bred to the right stud. I would be more cautious of the NAVHDA test scores on his own dogs. He NEVER tests anywhere but the Toronto Chapter which is held on his grounds. I am sure it is because of convenience but I would be more impressed with scores from amateur handlers and a variety locations. However, at this point, it is pretty hard to get a bad PP regardless of the breeding. All breeders are trying to produce the best PP pups they can and there isn't much in the way of bad genetics.........YET.
blathens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Bill
blathens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Sorry for thr triple post.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Bill the dog I got from mike had no beard or furnishings of any kind he could not swim and paced the house, very unsettled. He was a horrible retriever however he had a great nose and was steady and intense naturally.
Obviously I liked him enough to get another one which has all the Pudelpointer traits you here about great pet,great retreiver and alot of drive my only complaint on Wyatt would be his lack of intensity on point and his pushing to hard and bumping birds. I guess its probably my fault because if a grouse flushes in range and I didn't see the dog intentionally bump the Grouse I shoot. If you only shoot pointed Grouse in the cover we hunt you wouldn't need a gun. I train him all year on Quail I keep at the house and he works beautifully on them nice long points and steady but in the thick Dogwoods he faulters. He is 2 years old now and I think I can fix some of it this year. Bill I notice your dogs have a different shaggy head have you done something nobody else has? Good looking dogs by the way and I wasn't trying to trash Mike just relay my expirience with him.
blathens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Pudelpointer, what breeding is Wyatt? Many times a good natural retriever is lacking somewhat in pointing and vice versa. Many of the imports have less "point" than what Americans like because the emphasis there is on "after" the shot and here it is "before" the shot. Not to say there are not those with the whole package because there are many.
The best breeders of PP's, in my opinion, are those listed on the North American Pudelpointer Breeders Alliance. www.pudelpointer.org.

Bill
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:16 am  Reply with quote

He came from Bob Farris(Cedarwoods first offense+ Cedarwoods hot playmate). Great dog I'm just hard to please. I will add another one probably spring 09 then I will try for natural pointing ability and more caution but its a slippery slope to much drive and to little drive but it doesn't seem to be a problem with PP just need to hunt them and have fun. This dog I have now dives under water like an otter to chase diving ducks I think I would miss that.