16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sasha get's her bird...
Roper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Last Friday I took Sasha down to the Hegdal Unit to see if she could repeat her pre-season flushing trick. We hunted along the trees and brush that lines the river bank with no results. Mid way through one section she suddenly took off around this brush under a large tree. Some thirty or so quail flushed to my left and I stood dumbfounded at the sight. So much for the great white hunter, huh?

As we worked along another pair of quail flushed fast and low giving me little chance to fire. A few minutes later Sasha flushed a pair of pheasants, one hooked over and away from her, the other straight at me. The one headed my way spotted me raising my gun and suddenly banked straight up and into the sun making it impossible to tell if it was a hen or rooster so I passed on the shot.

Finally as we headed back through the heavy cover towards the truck Sasha flushed three roosters up over my head. I took the one to the left and folded it with a ounce of Hevi-shot from the 16ga. Sasha took after the other two so I decided I better find the downed bird. It was a beautiful full bodied bird that put a weight in my vest that felt good.

Watered down, and deburred, Sasha pranced around her bird as if to say, "Hey, I did it". She posed proudly back at the house with her prize and I marveled at what fun we both had that afternoon. Granted, she is not in the same class as many of the dogs the other members here own, but she's first class in my book, and that's all that matters.

flyline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

What a wonderful photo and story. Thanks for sharing. You should be proud!
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:05 am  Reply with quote

Sasha is a bird dog and fine looking girl, so take her out hunting! Great story.
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

HE HE !! Thats great !! Hate to say I told you so (but I did)!!
Keep taking her out, she'll just get better with more experience. You'll
have a first rate bird dog by your side in no time. Very Happy R Rambler
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

congrats! to you both.. as previously said.. keep getting out together.. it just gets better and better.... loved the picture of your girl, especially since she's not the usual dog you'd see!... from one little unknown to another.

cheers
kevin
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Nice job, now get back out there and get her more time in the field. Very Happy

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Roper:
Sounds like Sasha is a great bird dog based on the number of birds she moved for you. She belongs to you and is therefore the finest bird dog around. Keep us posted on her progress.

I was visiting a trainer recently and a fellow brought him two standard poodles while I was there. He is going to evaluate them for the fellow. I didn't want to irritate the trainer so I kept my mouth shut, but I wanted to tell the guy to take them hunting and see how they did.

Chicago Mike