16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Drew first blood with new 16 ga
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a nice, clean '49 Ithaca M37 about 6 weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to try it out until today. I took my son and his frat brother to our local preserve after recovering from back issues that ruined the KS phez then the KS quail openers for me. Uncased the Ithaca for the third loop and used it to smack four chukars. Since I have been using nothing but doubles and occasionally an auto, the pump operated as a single shot for me. Embarassed Really a neat trim little gun which translates into a real pleasure to carry in the field. It is nice to handle a repeater that doesn't have a 10 lb trigger like the trial lawyer triggers on today's guns.

jig
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

Same here - just acquired a real sweet all original 1941 M37 16Ga and took it on a roadtrip. I too used the M37 inadvertantly as a single shot on a huge covey of quail. I got one with a nice crossing shot on the flush but strangely, hard as I tried, that dang trigger just wouldnt fire the follow up. Have not shucked the old corn shucker for well over 20 years so the spasticc in me was right out there. Its getting tough though and I knew it would. Its getting so hard to decide which gun to take out on a given hunt. The more nice guns I acquire the more difficult it is to decide. The Parker the winchester the ithaca dang it! Just aren't enough days in the season. It was much easier when I was a one gun guy - certain beauty in that. I may come back around to that when i decide which one I like best.
flyline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Nice job, John. Glad to hear everything worked out OK for you and the new gun. What kind of shells were you using in it?
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'm almost sure my M37 wasn't made as early as the '40's, but it was bought used in the early 60's. Its fore end seemed to retract almost by itself with the recoil from the shot. All I had to do was push it front again.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

flyline wrote:
Nice job, John. Glad to hear everything worked out OK for you and the new gun. What kind of shells were you using in it?

Home brews, Jeff. 1 1/8 oz of hard 6s at about 1200 fps. Smacks the snot out of those chukars.

Also, we got about 2-3" of snow.

flyline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a load I would be interested in, John. I'll have to get the recipe from you sometime.

Bet you're glad you went yesterday, instead of today, eh? Obvioiusly the dogs did well for you - did you take Lily?

Was able to fish the Arkansas this afternoon, but not much luck. It was 32 degrees, and my guides kept freezing up on me! And me without a can of Pam........
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

flyline wrote:
Sounds like a load I would be interested in, John. I'll have to get the recipe from you sometime.

Bet you're glad you went yesterday, instead of today, eh? Obvioiusly the dogs did well for you - did you take Lily?

Was able to fish the Arkansas this afternoon, but not much luck. It was 32 degrees, and my guides kept freezing up on me! And me without a can of Pam........

Actually tried to get a reservation for Weds, but they were booked up on the field that I wanted. Just some snow flurries during the day.

We took Lilly on the last round with Birdie. My son had her on leash and would sit her on the point, then release her after the shot. She didn't really understand what the feathered thing was that fell from the sky after the big bang. Teased her with the birds later and the light came on. We made one more round with her alone and let her hunt, but we had cleaned out the birds (bought 15, found 16, shot 14).

Bummer about the fishing, but it will warm up some.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jrothWA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

took ginger myself and my 16 out for opening day in Ohio.
just getting off hernia repair.

Ginger flushed a rooster, fired twiced then shucked the forearm off the 90, trying to pump the third shell in!!!
Least giniger keep her mouth shut, but finessed the look as only Springers can!!!
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

jrothWA wrote:
took ginger myself and my 16 out for opening day in Ohio.
just getting off hernia repair.

Ginger flushed a rooster, fired twiced then shucked the forearm off the 90, trying to pump the third shell in!!!
Least giniger keep her mouth shut, but finessed the look as only Springers can!!!

The affliction in reverse! Laughing I started with a pump 45 yrs ago but haven't used one much in the last twenty years.