16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 big enough
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDan,
I cover the motor with some camo netting and they don't seem to mind. When hunting the puddle ducks I cover the boat with hydrilla and milfoil. I make it look a big floating grass mat. Works like a champ.
Now as for the PBR...PBR Streetgang was the call sign of the boat in "Apocalypse Now", = Patrol Boat River "Streetgang".
I say amen to to your idea of the shangrila of duck hunting experiences. I would love to carve some dekes up and shoot birds over them from my sneak boat.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot 16's for everything, using steel and bismuth on waterfowl in size 2. I use the 16 on geese with great success, but I pick my shots if I'm field shooting over decoys, I'm old enough now that I don't need to blaze away at everything anymore. If I was real serious, knowing shots could be out there aways and I needed "plenty meat", I would use my 12 bore Model 21 that some of you fellers talked me into hanging onto.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Doesn't that pattern get pretty thin britgun? Having said that, I talked to a close friend last night whose wife has a very minty sweet sixteen that I've shot and drooled over. It hardly ever gets used. It was her grandfather's, but she has no one to hand it down to, so I made sure I was first on the "if you ever want to sell it, call me" list. They sounded agreeable.

What a great duck gun that would be!

Where are you getting your bismuth?
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Doesn't that pattern get pretty thin britgun? Having said that, I talked to a close friend last night whose wife has a very minty sweet sixteen that I've shot and drooled over. It hardly ever gets used. It was her grandfather's, but she has no one to hand it down to, so I made sure I was first on the "if you ever want to sell it, call me" list. They sounded agreeable.

What a great duck gun that would be!

Where are you getting your bismuth?

yeah, the pattern does get pretty thin way out there, so like I said, I carefully pick my shots, like 30 yards with the steel (open chokes), maybe a little further with the Bismuth, as I can use my tighter chokes. The steel throws tighter patterns in my open chokes than lead or the Bismuth. The Bismuth is factory preloaded, first generation stuff, and when the company folded and sold out, I was able to buy cases of preloaded 16ga, I guess it's No 4's now that I think about it (not 2's).... from one of the wholesalers at CLEARANCE prices, Zanders I think?? This was in the 90's, anyhow, that's how that went down, and so do the geese, if I PICK MY SHOTS. Can one buy it for reloading now from ballistic products or other folks? I'm runnin low and will need to load some up, eventually.....

b'gun

longwalker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Terry Imai - "My hunting buddy makes a yearly trek to Canada in October to get his "goose fix". According to him, you guys in Canada are lucky to get uneducated birds with little pressure. He even told me that on good days in Canada that you don't even have to shoot your guns. You just let them land and everyone takes turns running down their birds!!!"

I just have to share this short video now - I took it after I quit shooting the day I took the previous picture... we don't use sticks ( those are for grouse and ptarmigan) but you just may be able to catch one by hand some days!
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/longwalker_photos/?action=view&current=MVI_1110.flv

pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Longwalker,
that was outstanding!!
For me, watching mother nature is next to Godliness!
Deo Gratis.