16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Worst guns ever!
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

I'll say I have to agree with Wolf when it comes to both weight and frame size. I understand all the arguments for a light weight/frame appropriate 16 ga., but were not talking poorly designed guns or guns that could be improved on.

We are talking "worst guns"!

The worst shotgun I ever owned was a Spanish SxS made by Gaspar Arizaga and imported by the Dakin Gun Co. in San Francisco. The first time I shot this gun it doubled and the sears were so soft I could bend'em in my hand. That gun had beautiful barrels, but the rest was garbage. Could never get that gun to work right without hardening all the parts, refitting them, and basically building a new gun...

Now, that was a "worst" gun and a rather expensive lesson.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

I may have already mentioned at one point that the worst gun I ever owned was a Merkel model 8 (though it was no worse than a gorgeous Weatherby Mark whatever Europa 7mm WM). I paid $1000 bucks for the model 8 and after trying a few mods on it to be able to hit a barn I took it back to the crooked pawnshop dealer I bought it from and traded it for the most beautiful gun I'd ever owned to that point (the Weatherby).
Well that weatherby was like some girlfriends I've had. Absolutley drop dead gorgeous but had a real ugly side neath the surface. That gun gave new meaning to MOA something along the lines of Maybe Off atleastayard.
Everyone told me "hey send it back to Weatherby cuz o the guaranty". Well, that woulda been cool cept for the fact it was about 2 weeks until Elk season.
So I took it back and they gave me store credit. I replaced it with a great JC Higgins FN Mauser 30-06 and a nice 2.5x8x VXIII that was a very nice rig.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Wolf-the gun was a 25" tube 1st year 20 gauge model 12, with a rather heavy replacement buttstock-trust me, IT WAS WHIPPY!

Can I boil up a plate of crow in motor oil for you?

Listen, I think a model 12 can be a decent gun-but, not all of them are, or are anymore. Things change, everything, that is, except you staring into a bulls sphincter on anything negative about a model 12. Even a modified has been model 12

Get over it. Get over yourself. And come to the realization that not everyone wants to be just like you. A few of us like it just the way we are-model 12, or not.

Laughing

Best,
Ted

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ted, you know what you can do with your opinion, don't you?

robp
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 am  Reply with quote

lets pick on rugers I have had to send all 4 that I have owned back for service
That would be a
m77 30-06 (tange safety) that would some times fire and some times not sent that back 4 times nothing like a big game rifle that is unreliable
p85 9mm had feeding problems
mark 2 .22 long rifle jammed almost always
the worst yet was the red lable 12gauge sporting gun
after about 4000 rounds it needed service second barrel would'nt go off
ruger fix all of them but I still had to send them back to be fixed more than once
Say what you want about how a gun feels heavy or unbalance but if it does'nt go off when you pull the trigger you got a big problem its a piece of shit
my 870 never a problem my m12s never a problem
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

The crow is waiting, wolfie.

The fact is, there is at least one model 12 out there that sucks.

My opinion won't change that. Your's, either.

Salt? Pepper?
Laughing
Best,
Ted

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I already replied to you, Teddy....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

If you own an 870 of ANY vintage and you point it correctly, it's gonna kill birds. Don't let people on this forum spoil your party ! Learn to shoot what you've got, take your kids hunting and respect the resource----you'll wind up a happy man....Wolfchief.

I'm probably gonna piss you off again just by posting here, but you are dead on the money Wolfchief. The best shotgun for anyone is the one he shoots best.

For me, as far as 16 ga pumps go, that is the Model 37. the Model 12 is good too, but my 37's do it just a bit better. Works for me. The rest of you can shoot whatever floats your boat, but be smart and consider Wolfchief's wisely chosen words.