16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need to order some shells. What to order?
ryan_289
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

I am about to order a case of shells from Federal for my Model 12 and my Dads sweet sixteen. I cant decide which ones to order. Mostly will be used on squirrels and rabbits. I may also dove hunt with these guns instead of my 12 gauges this year. I like number 6 shot for squirrel but I may need smaller shot for doves. I also seem to be hung up on the bigger is better way of thinking. Should I go with the 1 1/8 oz shot or just the 1 oz?
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

For the last 2 years, I've been doing all of my shooting (hunting & clays), with factory 1oz. loads (8's & 6's). Granted, it's been all birds, but I would feel confident with taking both Squirel & Rabbit with 1oz. of #6. This would be with a Model12 & Verona LX501. My nephew has also been shooting the same factory loads in a 870 youth in 16ga.

Soon the day will come when I start reloading 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads for clays & dove.
powderburn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

IMHO the 1oz load will work for all upland game with the exception of maybe heavily feathered phesants and others of their size. While I like 6's for rabbits and squirels and 7 1/2 & 8's for doves, quail etc. if you can only have one size then the 7 1/2 is probably the way to go. I have killed a lot of rabbits with an oz of 7 1/2. If you are interested I have a extra couple of flats of 16's and could sell you a mixed flat if you want. Just PM me .

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

I would take powderburn up on the offer--match the shot size to the game Wink
gsilber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I hunt pheasants in Iowa. I use 1 oz loads of lead, with the 7.5's in the bottom barrel and 6's in the top. I seldom use the top barrel. I've shot 7.5 for pheasant in my 12 ga for years and continue to use it now in my 16 ga. ...7.5 is my favorite.