16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Help needed testing loads !
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone :

I need some assistance in testing the 3/4 OZ loads , an assortment to determine if these loads will operated a 65mm or 2 9/16" recoil operated 16ga IE: the Browning A-5 .

Would someone out here be kind enough to test and evaluate these loads for function in your recoil operated auto loader ???

I do not need to purchace another gun right now for testing have another hunt to go on ( Smiling) and I do not posses a recoil auto loader in 16ga .

We have already tested these in a 58 Remington with success and also the 1100 Remington now I need to know if the recoil guns will cycle ???

I will provide the shells in 2.5" a varity of loads , different velocities , weights from 3/4 OZ to 13/16 OZ for you to document and publish the results on the fourm for me .

Thanks in advance

Charles
postoak
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Charles - I have a circa 1926 16 Gauge A-5, I could test some.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Charles: I also have a Sweet 16 and would be happy to test and report. Let me know.

Matt
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

Charles:

I have a 1947 A5 standard with 26 inch barrel and skeet range 4 miles from the house - would be happy to test and to report. Just pm me if need be.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Hello:

Postoak, Citori and Bustingclays I will be honored if the 3 of you will do this testing , with the 3 of you shooting the same loads ,we will get a pretty good compairson for the test.

Each of you seem to be in a different region of the country so the temps. will varie this will be great, a good test indeed.

I will get together the loads ( actually I will be putting ole Ben back to work ) If each of you will give me an address I will get the package together and ship them out , this might be a few weeks have lots of things going on right now and will have to work this into the schedual.

Thanks in advance this is a big help , I have some other things in the works that I might ask for you folks to help out with , I like everyone else have limited resources and with the efforts of others we just might be able to pull off something that individually could never accomplish .

Thanks again

Charles
postoak
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I plan to record the following information:

1 Type of recoil spring - square or round
2 length of uncompressed recoil spring
3 type of lubricant on the magazine tube & amount
4 friction ring set up
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Postoak :

I made mention to the others that you would be posting these items , which I would have overlooked for sure . Thanks for thinking of these pertinent bits of information needed to have a good test .

Regards Charles
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Charles-

I have an unmodified A5 be glad to test your loads (1930s)- I see that you have already had great response.

Let me know if you need additonal shooters.

Ash
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

You know what Ash I will take you up on this offer , this will be quite conclusive with 4 testing the loads , ( I really need to know beyond the shadow of a doubt if these loads will cycle ) this is an offer I will take up , 4 guns to test with is better than 3 in my mind .

I certainly appreciate the kind offers from you folks , the more we can collaborate on these projects the easier it will be on all of us to bring about more products for us to use.

I will be getting things together as soon as ole Ben gets around to loading these up, I will get them packaged up and sent out , Ash I will need your mailing address .

Thanks again .

Charles
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

looks like you have your bases covered but if you need any more help I have a 1953 28" sweet 16 that I could take out quail hunting with your loads and report back.

Good luck with your project,
Brian
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have picked up the shells , I will get these packaged up over the weekend and ready to ship just after xmas.

Brian I just might have to get ole Ben to load you up box and send you for testing . will run it by the ole guy and see if he is not too tuckered out to do so . Smiling

Regards everyone and a Merry Xmas

Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

The packages went out today, I have enclosed a copy of Buzz Fawcett's artical in each package for you folks to read , this has been helpful to many in the past , so I thought I would send you all a copy incase you didnt have one.

I will let you folks set up the parimiters for the testing , and post the findings to the rest of us, the shells are loaded with homade shot that is dropped too close to the coolant ( this cause's it to out of round , also this is pure lead ) I use this for close spreader type applications , so shooting targets will be more fun than paper .

Thanks for all the help .

Regards Charles

PS I have a bit of a cold and seem to have lost most of my voice , so I will visit with the folks on the phone when I get over this .