16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New here, more questions than answers.
Rockydog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I've been a hunter and shooter my entire life and have been reloading for over 20 years. I load both rifle and shotgun with some years exceeding 5000 rounds. I thought I had a good handle on this until I picked up a 16 guage Model 12 (serial says a 1917) in a chance encounter. It was in very rough shape but some tender loving care made it functional again. Then I started looking for ammo and components and the roof fell in.

Now I have a ton of questions that I hope I can impose upon you to answer.

I'm assuming that due to the year of manufacture this gun has a 2 9/16 chamber. I took it to a smith for checking. He slipped the barrel off, disappeared into the back room, came out and pronounced it a 2 3/4. This was without measuring or taking into account the chamber ring still in the action. I'm skeptical. Some people have said not to worry that 2 3/4 plastic hulls have plenty of clearance in the 2 9/16 chamber anyway, just don't shoot paper. I tried a half dozen Rem. 2 3/4. They shot fine but I obviously have no pressure data. Ejection was a problem with about every 3rd shell hanging up in the ejection port. I'd like to at least be able to shoot single trap with them just to empty the hulls. What say you?

I started looking for reloading components and my head is whirling with wads, hulls, 2 3/4, 2 9/16, 2 1/2. Crimped, roll crimped, tapered hulls etc, etc. I thought this would be a grab your MEC 600jr, some components and go. Like I do with my 12 guage. (and, yes, from your posts I realize I just used a swearword here) My goal is to use this for some occasional sporting clays and trap but, more importantly, I'd like to find a hunting load to take a turkey with it this spring.

I did find some wads today in a dusty box in the back corner of my local gun shop. They are Rems but I don't think they are the SP16 talked about on here. They were in a couple of plastic bags, 425 wads in all. Very fade paper in one of the bags said they were Rem. Power Piston 1 1/8 oz. wads #W29934. I haven't seen those mentioned on here. Owner bought them from an out of business store about 10 years ago. Anybody have any loads for them in the black rem hulls?

Sorry for the long post but this damn gun has an addictive aspect to it. I've got a ton of questions on roll crimping that will just have to wait. Thanks in advance for your help. RD