16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New type AA, STS or promos?
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Haven't loaded 20 ga. shells since 1980, only 12 and 16. I don't even remember which hull I used most back then, only that it was AA and Rem. compression formed. I will be supplementing my 16 ga. shooting with a 20. Which hull is best? Are the Remington Gun Clubs, Sporting etc. cheapies as good to reload as the top line target hulls except for the steel heads? The steel doesn't bother me since I'll be using a Sizemaster but I want them to last as long as the good ones. Also, are the new HS 20s as good or better than the old AAs? Any problem with them like there were with the 28s?

I'm going to try to score some new shells today before the price increases so I could use some advice.

Thanks in advance.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

The new AAHS is an OK hull but somewhat limited in volume and easily crushed during crimping.

The Remington compression formed hulls - Gun Club, STS, etc. are a much better hull in my view. They all load the same and I get good results from all no matter the name or color of plastic.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I thought I'd heard the Rems were now the hull of choice since Winchester went to the HS. I forgot to ask...are all the Rems. compression formed? I think they have one called "All purpose" or "Sporting" in the cheaper lines (only 20 shells per box). Are they like the RGL with a plastic base wad or are they compression formed too? I prefer compression.

Thanks again for the response and tips.
David
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

The old Win AA was a great shell, I could get a dozen loadings out of them. The new ones don't seem as nice. They have an inner peoce of clear plastilc near the base.
The new Remington STS, Premier, is made now the way the old Win AA was made. Even the Rem. Gun Club is a nice hull in 12 ga and in 20 ga.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

You will use the recipes for the STS in the RLG hulls--Save yourself some bucks over the target loads--They are a durable hull.I keep hearing rumors this line will be dropped in the future Rolling Eyes To save more use Rio/Cheddite primers and buy powder in the largest container you can afford.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. You have been very helpful in helping me get going once again with the 20. Now I need to find a good used 20 ga. Sizemaster. Believe it or not, this all does relate to my 16 ga. success.

One more question if you guys can indulge me: I've been using Win. 209 primers for 37 years and probably still will stick with them for competition and hunting shells. But for all my recreational skeet I'd like to try something cheaper. If I go with the Rio/Cheddite as suggested are they larger than the Win 209? If so would it mean I will not be able to go back to the Win. primer in those hulls, as is true I'm told with the Fiochhi primers?

Which brands of primers can be substituted for the Win. 209 in a given recipe without regard to size or pressure differences?

Thanks.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hodgdon states the Nobelsport is a direct substitute for the W209 primer. Last time I looked the Nobelsports were $95 at Gamiliel.