16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Remington just bought Marlin
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/news/local/statewire/hc-27093646.apds.m0059.bc-ct--remidec27,0,6747734.story
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-marlinfolo1228.artdec28,0,1008513.story

vero
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Reading toay's entries are beginning to get to me. First the cost explosion of ammo and now Marlin has been bought by Remington. From my 50 years of observation I found Remington's best ability is to cheapen their products rather than show initiative at bringforth engineering improvements. I truly believe they too have learned the same and have come out with a new 12 auto shotgun. It hasn't been on the counters for more than a year. I assume it was a production problem rather than a lack of sales that caused this delay. These are the people who cheapened the mod 1100 to a point where Beretta simply walked in a took over the whole damned market with a better product.
An now their going to cheapen the Marlin line of guns. Is that possible? I always thought of Marlin as being the cheapest of the cheap.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

vero wrote:
I always thought of Marlin as being the cheapest of the cheap.

Well, there's still Mossburg Very Happy ! Too bad; don't know that it makes much difference shotgun wise, but Marlin does have a long and storied rifle history, which I'm sure will now go down the tubes Sad .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Oh no!!! I love my Marlin rifles and do not like the Remington line of guns.....
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I think I will wait and see before I get to grumpy. Remington is not really the Remington of old, they were purchased by a private equity group last year. Now they are pulling together/consolidating the rifle industry. It will be interesting to see how they plan on making money with this adventure. I hope they reassess the shooting desires of the USA and give us more of what we want. This may include less junk and a little more quality. Oh well, I can dream.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Overberg on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

vero wrote:
I always thought of Marlin as being the cheapest of the cheap.

Absolutely not. The Marlin line of lever guns are excellent. A good argument can be made that the design is superior to the 94 Winchester. And Marlin levers made after 1964 are better quality than Winchester 94s. Before 1964 they were equal, quality wise.

Marlin's line of rimfire bolt actions are what I would describe as "serviceable".

The Marlin model 60 auto is the only POS currently made by Marlin.

Also, keep in mind Remington is broke and didn't really buy Marlin. Cerebus bought Marlin thru Remington. Cerebus has bought Remington, Bushmaster, Cobb, and now Marlin. We will have to wait and see what all of that means for the industry.