16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  pheasant/ upland load help
spr310
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

robp wrote:
Ok guys I need some input here on a 16 gauge upland load
I have accumulated a good number of 16 gauge Fiocchi , Federal and black Remington ton hulls. I want to load up some upland 1 1/8 once 1300 fps + loads for pheasants and sharp tails these loads will be used in cold weather I will use nickel plated shot 5's for pheasant 7's for sharpies powder and wads will be determinded accordingly
I will be shooting these out of M12’s and A5’s
thanks rp

For one thing I would think over using 1 1/8oz loads. I have found 1 oz and even 7/8oz will do the trick on pheasants. Using #5's and longshot or universal or even clays on the 7/8oz load you can range out to close to fourty yards.
I was one of them that believed bigger is better untill I started reloading. I started patterning better and have a pattern board where I cleared a run 30 yards back thru the woods. I found that with the right chokes I was placing plenty of shot into the kill zone with just a 7/8oz load. Also I was up to 1275 to 1300fps with the loads. That will knock a pheasant sideways at even fourty yards. And that's shooting a 16 gauge.
I know I can't convice everybody, but Charles is using 3/4oz loads, I wish they would get that wad out, as I want try it. With the price of lead, any thing to save.