16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  3/4 oz for 16ga?
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 am  Reply with quote

I load 7/8oz in 2.5in Cheddite hulls, 1621 Gulandi wads, Cheddite primer with a light load of green dot. I use this load in my M12, hammer guns and English double. Has anyone tried 3/4oz? What wad are you using?
Thanks, Bob
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 am  Reply with quote

. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, I can see how this would work. The inside of the Remington hulls are tapered and the Gualandi wads are for a straight hull. Good idea. I might have to go with 28ga shot cards in the Gulandi wads I use. I must have 2k 2.5in Cheddites. Now, would the cards go in the wad prior to dropping the shot or over the shot before crimping?? Thanks for the advice. Bob
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Bronco a "hard" filler such as card wads work best when put into the wad cup before adding shot. Soft fillers such as puffed wheat/rice or styrofoam work best when put on top of the shot charge.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Whenever I use fillers I put the filler in first because I can get pretty clumsy sometimes. If I'm dealing with an empty wad and knock it over it's easier to clean up that a wad full of shot.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 am  Reply with quote

I shoot 3/4 ounce loads exclusively for skeet and small birds now. My chosen load is thus:

Remington GL16 or new Green Express case (same case, different color). 16 grains of green dot, any moderate strength primer like a WW209, Rem 209 etc, R16, 1 ounce wad w/ two 1/8" thick 28 ga card wads in the bottom of the shot cup, and 3/4 ounce of #9 through #8 shot for target work, woodcock, snipe, rail, and small quail. Velocity is right around 1200 FPS.

The load patterns very well, burns, clean and hits smaller birds nice and hard w/ #7.5 shot. The biggest advantage is nearly no recoil. Kids could fire ths load out of a 6 pound gun with no ill effects. I can shoot a couple hundred per day without any trouble at all. This is definately not true for a 1 ounce load out of a light gun.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

Like Mike Campbell I'm using the black Rem hulls with the SG20L. I load 3/4oz and International Clays powder and no "fillers" are needed. The crimp is just slightly concave compared to the 7/8 oz version of this load, but they are consistent, pattern great, and are a joy on the skeet range.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 am  Reply with quote

When I tried using the card wads for fillers, the 28 ga cards did not fit in either the R-16 or Gualandi wads without expanding the wad cup too much. I had to resort to 32 ga cards which seem to work better. Am I doing something wrong with the 28 ga cards?
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Quote - The inside of the Remington hulls are tapered and the Gualandi wads are for a straight hull.
The only taper in the Remington hull is a slight bit at the mouth to allow for better crimping. Every one that I have cut open is a straight-walled Reifenhauser (sp??) type two piece hull. It has thicker plastic than most hulls, that is why some 20ga wads seal well in it, especially the ones with softer/wider bases. I have sucessfully used Gualandi, Federal and Orange Duster 20ga wads in this hull, the Orange Duster is my favorite due to widespread availability and reasonable price.
The old Winchester AA-type and the modern STS and even the Remington Gun Clubs are true tapered hulls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

The typical .550" diameter 28 ga. card wad will spread the petals a little on any 16 ga wad. It is quite normal and nothing to worry about. However, if you can't fit them down flush and flat into the bottom of the 16 ga wad with normal wad ram pressure, something is wrong.

Is it possible you might have gotten some 20 or 24 ga card wads by mistake? I'd measure the diameter of a couple to see. If they are more than .560" in diameter, you have been sent the wrong wad.

If you wish to, 50 cal. black powder card wads also work very well. They are a bit smaller at .510" diameter and will seat a bit easier into a 16 ga wad.

I personally like the little extra bit of spread the 28 ga. card wads give me. It helps the wad petals to spread as the wad leaves the bore and is stripped from the shot column. The sooner and cleaner this happens, the better the average pattern will be in theory. I get excellent patterns from my 3/4 ounce loads, so if it is working, I won't fix it.