16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2 1/2" Federal and Win. Super X
David
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this combination out for short chambered guns. Reloaded some Federal (purple, paper base wad) and some Winchester Super X that I cut down to 2 1/2" and used the receipe for 2 3/4" loads that I got from Lyman's 5th edition.
Federal used 24.0 grs. Longshot powder 1 oz. shot, Fed.209A primer Rem. SP16 wad velocity stated was 1290 and 7,400 psi.
Winchester was 22.5 grs. Longshot 1 1/8 oz. shot Win. 209 primer, Rem. SP16 wad, stated velocity 1245 and 8,100 psi.
Looking at the shells after reloaded, there is still a lot of room to the top, put 3-.030 overshot cards in and roll crimped.

I use the plumb bob to recondition the mouth, the Winchesters were not too bad, the Federals all had to be opened.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

David as you found out the 2 9/16th inch roll crimped shell has about the same internal volume as the 2 3/4 inch folded crimp shell. There may be a slight drop off in chamber pressure and performance when changing from a folded crimp to a roll crimp due to reduced resistance to opening of the roll crimp over the folded crimp.