16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Charles New 16 ga Loads Arrived!
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Came home in the 15 degree temps today to find a present from Charles on the front porch (no, not his cold).

Inside the small box are 4 baggies of 16 ga shells as described:

bag#1 - 5 shells, red cheddite hulls, 8-point crimps with a pink tag on the bag with 13/16 oz, Rex 1, 15gr, 1225 written on it

bag #2 - 5 shells, red cheddite hulls, 8-point crimps with an orange tag on the bag with 13/16 oz, Rex 1, 16.5 gr, 1300 written on it (alos says superG on the tag)

bag #3 - 6 shells, red cheddite hulls, 8-point crimps with a green tag on the bag with 3/4 oz, Rex 1, 16.5gr, 1325 written on it

bag #4 - 6 shells, red cheddite hulls, 8-point crimps with a yellow tag on the bag with 3/4 oz, Rex 1, 18gr, 1400 written on it

As I understand it, I am to test in my 1946 Browning A5 and report cycling etc... to Charles while shooting at some skeet birds. I am sure he will weigh in here with more details. Any thoughts from the group as to the test Question Question

Test will have to wait Wink - packing for return trip to Russell KS tonight. Leaving Friday morning for 3 more days of hunting. Very Happy Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Rex 1 Question Is the burn rate close too Green Dot Question

Interesting, indeed Exclamation
lovemylabs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

were on this board,(if you'll be posting any???) will you guys be posting your findings? just interested to read.
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Lefty Dude, Rex 1 should be faster than Green Dot. It is my understanding that Rex 2 is close in burn rate to Green Dot.

I'm really curious about the pressure developed by these loads. I had some 3/4 oz. loads tested using Rex 1 but the velocity was around 1150 fps and pressure was about 8000 psi.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Folks:

The 18gr of Rex 1 in the 3/4 OZ tested at 75 deg.

Velocity 1,410 FPS the pressure was 9,200 PSI

Now Larry out in OR. has loaded up some with Red Dot his load was 3/4 OZ with 18 gr. and I think it broke the 11,000 PSI mark , with 1,400 FPS for velocity.

Larry chime in there and tell me if I got something messed up .

Will let you folks set up the paremeters for the test I will wait to see the results , Please post the tempature when testing , you are all scattered out and this will be interesting indeed.

Regards Charles
postoak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I got my test loads ! Cool
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Got Mine! Shot Mine!

Everything worked like a champ!

Nice to get the Old Gun out and make it work again!

Thanks Charles!

I gave Charles a call last night and learned more about shotshells, and reloading than I ever thought I could. Thanks to you (ok and shell prices, lead etc) I'm going to have to start reloading!

Look forward to shooting with you up in MO sometime charles. I'll check the schedule and we'll work something out.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Test Results:

Received from Charles:

1 bag of 5 shells. 13/16 oz. lead shot, 2 1/2" cheddite hull with 16.5 gr. of Rex 1 powder. Stated velocity 1,300 fps.

1 bag of 5 shells. 13/16 oz. lead shot, 2 1/2" cheddite hull with 15 gr. of Rex 1 powder. Stated velocity of 1,225 fps.

1 bag of 6 shells. 3/4 oz. lead shot, 2 1/2" cheddite hull with 16.5 gr. of Rex 1 powder. Stated velocity of 1,325 fps.

1 bag of 6 shells. 3/4 oz. lead shot, 2 1/2" cheddite hull with 18 gr. of Rex 1 powder. Stated velocity of 1,400 fps.

I fired these loads in my 1950 2 3/4" chambered Sweet 16.

Temperature was 56 degrees.

Results:

4 rounds of bag 1 and bag 2 were fired with the SS friction rings set to their "light load" setting.

5 rounds of bag 2 and bag 3 were fired with the same "light load" setting.

1 round of each bag was fired with the friction rings set in the "high velocity" setting.

ALL ROUNDS FIRED EJECTED WITHOUT ANY MALFUNCTION.

This was, frankly, astonishing to me! To be able to fire a 3/4 oz load in a long recoil operated A-5 set on the heavier setting without any malfunction!

SWEET!

I should point out that these rounds did not incorporate (Charles, please correct me if I'm wrong) Charles' new wad as that is still in the testing stage.
I believe this load was made with the Gulandi SG16. I say I think, because at 1,400 fps I could only find 1 wad that I THINK was in those loads! Laughing

Matt
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Great News Matt:

Your correct on the wad selection, what good news this is . Two for Two now lets see how the other folks report with their findings.

We have done lots of research on this and the oldtimers from the 30's were appairntly right on the money with the information of light loads functioning in a recoil operated autoloader.

We just might be able to pull all of those great old guns out of the closet and shoot them after all with loads we will enjoy shooting .

Two down and Two yet to go .

Regards Charles
postoak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Between work, fixing stuff that broke around the homeplace, and a case of Walking Pneumony I have not been able to test in my 2 9/16 A-5 - this upcoming week end I will have a chance to.