16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Weigh your powder
Hlavoun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:06 am  Reply with quote

I am new to the society and this has probably been covered.......but always weigh your powder on a scale to determine which bushing to use. Don't rely on anyone's bushing charts. Don't rely on fudging the bushing numbers. Different powders meter differently. My experience with MEC is that there usually is a "safety" zone of one or even two sizes.....but I guarantee that is not true with all powders. Also I highly recommend a powder baffle between reservoir and bar.

Sorry if I am redundant here.
DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Yep!! Shocked But it is always good to be reminded. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've actually had some powders measure and throw 3 bushing sizes light, especially with a baffle in place. However, i too recommend a good scale and a baffle.

I've also found a few powders that do not meter consistently, like IMR 800X. I have to use a separate powder measure, scale, and trickler to get consistant charges. However, since these loads are usually high performance hunting loads for very low volume shooting, a couple of boxes lasts me a couple of seasons, so the extra time invested is well worth it. I could not get by without a scale.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have recently started reloading shotgun shells again and have been using my RCBS Charge master combo which I bought to load rifle/pistol. I can throw a box of shells in about fifteen min. So often the bushings dont measure exactly the load required any way. kind of expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Charlie
dunk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Adding my 2 cents....

With today's "bargain" powders...your bushings may be off even more than a couple of sizes AND vary a great deal from lot to lot.

I shoot about 7000-10,000 target rounds a year between summer/fall trap league, and sporting clays. I've messed with "Titewad" and "PROMO" a good deal. I now have loads that work very well with lighter payloads.

Trouble is the lot to lot consistency is NOT always there with the bargain brands.

In the days when I shot mostly "Clays" powder and lead was still cheap...I almost never checked lot to lot...cuz it was always just fine.

With economy powders...ALWAYS CHECK.
xtimberman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, a timely reminder!

Solo 1000 has been the worst in my experience. Lot-to-lot differences are scary! It's a great clean-burning powder for several gauges, but I've quit using it for that reason - scared I'd forget to check bushing charges when I buy a new batch.

I also believe some gunpowders are hygroscopic - which causes standard bushings to throw heavier charge weights in areas with a humid climate.

xtm