16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  My roll crimp efforts
roll crimp
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I been wanting to post a picture of these for a while now. Nothing really spectacular but I was pleased they came out as nice as they did.

These are BP's Multi-Hull, 17gr Green Dot, .135 Nitro card, 3/8 inch fiber spacer, Gualandi 1oz wad (#8 shot), over shot card and crimp. No trimming of hulls.

These are 2 1/2 inches, on the nose.

The roll isn't always 100% perfect, as you can see, but I'm satified.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Spray just a touch of Rem oil on the inside of the roll crimp tool.
It will help, until the tool gets broke in.
Aren't those BP multi hulls, just a Cheddite hull? I have never bought those.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Roll Crimp
Those are 2 3/4" hulls, right Question and the finish product is 2 1/2" O.A.L. Question They look well done. Wink
Not sure but I have both types of hulls and they look to be the same.
David
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Sometimes roll crimping a 2 3/4" hull is longer and it won't fit into a regular box well.
I just cut some 2 3/4" 20 ga. Remington Game Loads to 2 1/2" for short chamber L.C. Smith. and the finished shell with the roll crimp is the same size now as a fold crimp 2 3/4" shell, so it fits in the box nicely.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I write the shot size /amount on top to avoid later confusion Wink
Popski
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I have tried roll crimping before, using a variety of hulls and it works just fine. Finished hulls look like those in the photo. However, when I fire them, the crimp end of the hull is sort of screwed up so I can't reload them again.

Is this typical of roll crimped plastic hulls??? Or am I missing something??

P

Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Typical, at least for me. The heat from the crimping tool distorts the case mouth, probably due to my cheap drill press, it only goes down to 600rpm. That's where the Spin Doctor comes in handy, it smoothes them right out. I get several more loads from them that way. My 2 pfennigs worth........
Bill
roll crimp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

That's typical with me also. Wish it wasn't so but I do trim when that happens and adjust my spacer wad height accordingly and make a little shorter shell for next time.

I actually started this because I have old wads from the 60's that I wanted to use up.

One thing I have already found is that the new fiber wads are not the same as the old fiber wads. The ones I bought are slightly bigger (thicker) and don't compress as much. Then too, I can't get 5/16" fiber, I have to cut down 3/8".

Some people think the "good 'ol days" were not really so good but I think many things were far better than they are today!
birddog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,
Has anyone had good results with papers and roll crimps? I've got Probably a 1000 Alcan papers/new hulls never been fired.
How about some good techniques, thanks a bunch.
Charlie
brdetr
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

DaveM. rolls some good ones! He has been kind enough to roll some paper loads for me as hunting loads for some vintage sXs, 16 gauge of course. A dead grouse or woodcock seems even better with the smell of a paper hull in the fall woods. Cool You can pm him or I am sure he will chime in sometime soon.

Brian

cvdawley
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I tried rol crimping for the first time today and am happy with the results, though I suspect I will do better when I get a drill press. I loaded both spreader loads with polywads inserts and some with spacer cards. The ones with cards seem to turn out better. Even though it is slower, I enjoy the process and looks. Can you load any shell as a roll crimp or does it change the pressure ect to do so?
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:16 am  Reply with quote

[quote="cvdawley"]I tried rol crimping for the first time today and am happy with the results, though I suspect I will do better when I get a drill press. I loaded both spreader loads with polywads inserts and some with spacer cards. The ones with cards seem to turn out better. Even though it is slower, I enjoy the process and looks. Can you load any shell as a roll crimp or does it change the pressure ect to do so?[/quote]

Hello, I RC everything I shoot...24, 20, 16, & 10ga. In a reponse from BP about a 24ga then a 10ga rollcrimp recipe they let me know that RCing does add a bit to the preasure of a folded crimp recipe but usually not enough to be significant. Since medium speed/preasure loads per given gauge work fine for me the bit of added preasure has never been an issue. The reason I went all in on RCing is I became frustrated by all the "fiddling" I had to do to my presses to make all the different hulls work. Also, RCing allowed for the largest payload option potential which gave latitude to each gauge (needed a 7/8 oz 24ga round) and as the shells gain experience they can be trimmed back as needed for shorty loads which extendes their useful life adding even more latitude. RCed cut back shorty 10ga decoyed duck loads and RCed 16ga 3/4oz shorty with no spacers in the cup........priceless. Oh yeah, equipment reduction 1 600jr w/a universal bar as my stuffing station and 1 bench top drill press with a mec collet resizer mounted in it as my resizing/rolling station then the gauge specific collets and RC tolls. If you search enough on this great sight you will find all sorts of very good and helpful reloading/RCing info. Hope this helps, Mike
cvdawley
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Mike. I was hoping one could roll crimp most loads. I agree with your comment about the hassle of having to adjust constantly to get a good fold crimp. I am going to pick up a table top drill press next week. I am right now loading 28ga 7/8 oz spreader loads and will do 20 & 16ga next. Planning to load both using polywads inserts and 1 oz of shot. Gotta be ready for those grouse and woodcock next year. Charlie
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

[quote="cvdawley"]Thanks for your response Mike. I was hoping one could roll crimp most loads. I agree with your comment about the hassle of having to adjust constantly to get a good fold crimp. I am going to pick up a table top drill press next week. I am right now loading 28ga 7/8 oz spreader loads and will do 20 & 16ga next. Planning to load both using polywads inserts and 1 oz of shot. Gotta be ready for those grouse and woodcock next year. Charlie[/quote]

You're welcome Charlie! Sounds like you're on your way. Word to the wise, although you may have this in mind already...when you head out to purchase a drill press make sure the RPM can be set low enough to let the RC tools do their job. What RPM? I dont know the exact range, a guess would be 300-500. I'm certain BP or PR would be able to help with that. I found my DP in a pawn shop and it has electronic speed control with no indication of the exact speed, it looked close to speed in the hand drill and it works fine. I can't tell you how happy I am with the Mec Supersizer in the DP. It takes the difficult resizing step out of the 600 so there is less wear and tear on the mechanism, my arm and the shell bases. Using that and only one reloader as the metering and insert station really simplified the process for me. I too use those Polywad inserts, they just work, period! Also, I'm with you...already dreaming of all the birds I will be missing this coming fall over here in MI, HA HA! Take care, Mike.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up my drill press yesterday and loaded up 3 boxes since. There is a learning curve involved,,,,allowing the roll crimper to rest on the mouth of the case for about 5 seconds seems important and it takes far less pressure there after to get a good crimp. At first I was pressing way to hand and getting bad looking crimps. Today I used a very light pressure and got great results. By the time I get done with all the 28,20 and 16ga grouse woodcock loads I should be a real pro!!!