16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rem Game load split hulls
jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Anyone have trouble with the hulls spliting at the case mouth in the cold??
Cold = 30 or less

xtimberman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Yep. I figured that the bitter cold and wind chill must've hardened the plastic and made it brittle. I noticed splits on both new factory and reloaded hulls. After that, I moved all my shells to an inside pocket where they should've been in the first place and never had another problem.

xtm
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:38 am  Reply with quote

jswanson wrote:
Anyone have trouble with the hulls spliting at the case mouth in the cold??
Cold = 30 or less

YES.... I mentioned it after last winter on the board here. I shot them around zero and lost one out of three (sometimes more) even some with full length body splits!!. These were two different lots of factory loads!

I only use them 50F and above now.... My feelings won't be hurt if Remington goes to a Cheddite hull as rumor has it...

Slidehammer
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
My feelings won't be hurt if Remington goes to a Cheddite hull as rumor has it...

I would much rather see Remington adopt the same type of hull they use in their Gun Club ammunition.

While we are on the subject of hulls and Charles is toying with the idea of putting another hull in production what ever happened to the Machinery that Active used to produce their hulls? I had never used Active hull before but I recently came by some new old stock Active 12 gauge hulls and I am really impressed with the way the load using my old PW 375.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Twice Barrel:

I researched just that question and found out that the ACTIVE HULL was never made in the U.S. but in Peutro Rico and the loading facility was in the Virgina's .

The hull making machinery went back to Spain where the developer was from , the loading facility was sold to KENT / GAMEBORE .

I am like you I loved that hull , and tired to get it for us but it was not to be .

But hang on I have one that might be as good on the drawing board , I am working on the design right now , it will be after the mold is paid for but it will all be mapped out and ready to go just as soon as the finances come around .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:44 am  Reply with quote

First a new and much needed 16 ga wad. Now a good reloadable 16 ga hull to go with it?? Geez Charles, you must be bucking for sainthood. Laughing Hey, that will work for me. I'm already looking forward to loading some.

Now, if we can just get you an apointment with the Pope at the Vatican, I think we can get you canonized sooner or later. Canonized.??? Hmmmm!?? Ah! See. I just knew there is something about guns and reloading that brings out the best in folks. Why else would a canon be involved Wink