16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Loads for 700X and 20ga wads
JoGoz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

I've decided to break out the Lee LoadAll that I picked up used 20 some years ago. I realize the Lee is not an all-time favorite, but its what I have, so I'll see for myself how it works. By the way, I bought it the first time I heard that the "16ga is extinct"!

I loaded a lot of 12ga back in the 80's and would like to use up the supplies I have before I buy new stuff. I have 1000 win209 primers and one of the big cans of 700x, and a couple of bags of 8 shot. I also have several 100's of RGL hulls that I'll be using. I have a bag of 16a wads that was packed away with the loader, but they are for either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 loads and I'd like to load 3/4 to 1 oz loads.

I'll mainly be shooting clays with a DeHaan SxS and a BPS.

I read in the archives that 700x is not preferred for the 16, but are there some recipes that will work for me?

I'll need to buy some wads, so I'm open to suggestions there, and I'd prefer not needing to use fillers. I remember reading that there are some 20ga wads that work in the RGL's. Is this a possibility for me? I'm open to all suggestions here, and I thank you all in advance.

JOHN
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

If you go to the IMR powder reloading data web site, you can obtain some 700X powder loads under the cowboy shooting data. I have used the loads with success, however, I don't recall any 20 gauge wads included in the data. I use Rem SP16 and Ballistic Products sporting 16 ga. wads with the 700X loads. I Do not substitute components, no do I recommend the practice to anyone else. The cost of a bag of wads will not break you up.
Good Luck.
JoGoz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Buckeyechuck, and I'm going to check out the IMR site and see what their loads look like. I also just joined low pressure reloading group and I know this will be a wealth of information. And by the way, I'm not looking to "substitute components" to save on the cost of a bag of wads. I'm just hoping to load sub 1oz loads with readily available components, without needing fillers. A search of the archives leads me to believe that there are people regularly loading the RGL hulls with a couple specific 20ga wads. I'm sure that when I get the info from the reloading group, I'll find the exact data I'm looking for! I hope. And again, thanks for the reply. JOHN
WVBob
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

JoGoz,

To use a 1 1/8 oz wad for a 1oz. load I use half a 20ga fiber wad under the shot to fill the hull.

Put in the powder, put the fiber wad in the shot cup wad, put that in the hull, and put the shot in. The fiber wads split with no trouble. This fills the hull so I can get a good crimp.