16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  My Mec9000G (used but new to me) just arrived. Trim Hulls?
gungho
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I just got my MEC9000G that I bought from someone on this forum. It arrived as advertised in new condition.

The guy who sold it to me (since he did not give me permission to use his name, I will not do so) has it set up to reload 2-5/8 shells. Since I am looking for a way to load 3/4 oz loads, this seems very neat.

I have put in for 5K of the new low pressure wads and I have 2-3/4 Ched hulls on the way (could not find any Rem)

If you were me, would you buy a hull cutter and cut back the Ched to 2-5/8 or would you convert the reloader back to 2-3/4 shells and load 7/8 oz while waiting on the new wad? (I am leaning for the latter).

Thanks

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Why waste the time,effort and money on the shorter hull unless you have a real need to do so--go with the standard 2 3/4 in setup.You won't need to buy the cutter-use the time to trim them and could use the time loading standard shells Wink
Rockydog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Hoashooter. Unless you have a short chambered gun that you absolutely need to feed short shells put her back to 2 3/4 and leave it there. Although 9000Gs are tough and reliable once you get them set to crimp the hulls you'll be using you'll find that you don't want to mess with resetting them. I don't reload because it's any cheaper. I reload because I can make lighter, heavier, spreader, duplex, faster, slower loads. That said, shortening cases and the resulting problems with crimping, whether folded or rolled, are a time consuming pain in the a**. If I didn't have to do it I wouldn't mess with it. If you want 3/4 loads use a 7/8 oz. wad and drop a filler like a puffed wheat or a small filler wad in the cup first. I use wads cut from styrofoam meat trays. RD