16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Recoil from Hunter Arms Ranger
e49735
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 16 gauge Hunter Arms Ranger (precision grade 104.3)....had the chambers and forcing cones extended, and even with light 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads, the gun really kicks. It weighs approx. 7 pounds and I was somewhat surprised at the amount of recoil.

In comparison, I have a 20 gauge std. frame wingmaster, that weighs around the same, and kicks less, plus a tenite stock 16 Savage, that weighs less and kicks less....
any ideas ?...I'm just shooting light target loads. I can mange it with a slip on pad, etc., but it doesn't seem logical.
thanks,
Terry
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

It is likely a stock fitting issue. Compare the DAC, DAH and LOP to your other guns.

I suspect it is shorter, has more drop and may have a greater difference between the DAC and DAH.

Jeff
e49735
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,
thanks for the response...I measured all three, and the LOP is very similar (all 13 7/Cool...also, the difference between the DAC and DAH are all 5/8 !
They vary in the drop at the comb, however, with the savage having the most...(2")...the Ranger is 1 3/4 and the Wingmaster is 1 5/8.
Terry
nid-28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

How's the pitch. Too much down pitch can really cause a gun to smack you in the face. Was a pad added and the pitch altered? Measure the pitch by sliding the gun up against a wall with the butt flat on the floor. Then see how far the muzzles are from the wall. !/1/2 to 2 inches would be about right for this gun.

Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Terry, glade to see you made it. I was talking to Dick about the 16 I was using sunday. He recomended that I expierment with adding shims to the bottom of my but pad to increase the pitch. I added a 1/2" and it did take some of the punch out of the gun. But by then my face was so sore that I decided to wait till my check heald up.
I can't remember if yours was punching you in the face or hitting your sholder to hard.

Ben
nid-28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

Just so we are all on the same page--adding shims to the bottom of your recoil pad--decreases--the pitch.

sprocket
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I have a similar gun that has untouched bores - it does have a Decelerator pad on it - whiie the gun weighs about 7#'s I find the weight helps with the recoil - I shoot Remy game loads - 1 oz. of shot - I can shoot 2 rounds of SC before I start feeling it...

hope this is helpful info
e49735
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:48 am  Reply with quote

checked the pitch,
and it is about the same as the others...so nothing conclusive to me relative to dimensions all around....I'll double check it tomorrow at the range...and have some other shooters shoot it as well to compare notes...will post the results.
thanks for all of your input.
Terry
e49735
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

also,I don't know if this has any significance...
the nominal bore size of my Sears Ranger is smaller than what I see typically published for a 16...
the gunsmith measured the right barrel to be .659
the left......656
I don't think this should have any relationship with recoil...just interesting that the bore diameters are smaller than what is typically published.
Terry