16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  WI pheasant hunt (pic)
Mod 97
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:47 am  Reply with quote

This past weekend my buddy, his wife, and I went down to her parents' place in Princeton, WI. The main purpose of the trip was to go to the Decoy Show in Oshkosh and I was not disappointed! They had a lot of tables with a lot of nice birds and paraphanelia. I picked up a couple birds from a contemporary carver for a bargain, so it was nice to see some dekes I could afford for once!

Secondary purpose was to put my buddy's 9 month old American Water Spaniel on some pheasants at a game farm. What a riot! The pup did ok by himself, but he got some good instruction when we turned out my lab. She really worked hard and once the shots go off, she's a retrieving machine! We hunted a place called "Pheasants by the Fox" near Princeton, WI and Mr. Norton put on a real nice hunt for us. They've got a lot of birds, so he said he was going to run a special to try and get em all sold. They didn't have any hunters in Feb due to all the snow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Mod 97"]This past weekend my buddy, his wife, and I went down to her parents' place in Princeton, WI. The main purpose of the trip was to go to the Decoy Show in Oshkosh and I was not disappointed! They had a lot of tables with a lot of nice birds and paraphanelia. I picked up a couple birds from a contemporary carver for a bargain, so it was nice to see some dekes I could afford for once!"

Decoy collecting is a terrible disease. I got out 30 years ago and had a relapse a year ago. If I only had now what I had then....Shotguns are a bargain in comparision
Gil
rudyc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Glad you made it down. How was the snow depth?? Nice looking dogs, do you know what kennel the Water Spaniel's out of??

rudyc

Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Snow depth wasn't bad - I'm well over 200# and it held me up mostly. Thank God it was 15 degrees! They drove a tractor around and through the field to make paths for the hunters, so it was easy that way, but of course we didn't stick to the paths entirely. Maybe knee deep at the worst spots.

The AWS came from a private party in Janesville, WI. Breeder has both parents. That's about all I can recall, but I could try to get a name if you'd like. He seems like a real nice pup, although he'll be bigger than the breed standard unless he quits growing soon.

NR