16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  newbie first load suggestion ?
redbirddawg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've done some reading, joined the low pressure group, and ready to start spending to save (?)

I have 500 or so Fiocci Hulls, and am thinking MEC 77 sizemaster (anbody want to sell one ?). I've held off purchasing anything to see what components to buy, since the load clearly dictates that strategy.

Anybody want to volunteer a newbie-friendly first load suggestion so that I don't blow myself into the next county ?

I have the BP 16 ga manual, and the Lyman one, so I can reference: just looking for something that can be used for Skeet and that's not too complex. Puppy needs to succeed and gain confidence. 1 oz. purchased loads worked well, and I'll do the 7/8 oz when it's out since you all seem so excited about it.

Dave
Gainesville, FL
Go Gators
James
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

For a light load for skeet in the 16 this is what I use
Rem SP case
3/4 oz. shot
F606 primer
16.5 gr. Green Dot (#28 Mec bushing in a single stage press)
Rem SP16 wad, and puffed wheat as a top filler (just lightly fill case and crimp).
Mild and clean burning. I played with some other loads but I just settled on this one. I get about 3-4 reloads out of the cases, they are looking rough at the end of there life but ignition is still good.

I use this in a M12 Winchester and a M37 Ithaca which are strong modern shotguns.

The load is based on this load listed on the Allant web site
Rem SP case
1 oz shot
Rem 209P primer
16.5 Green Dot
Win WAA16 Wad (no longer in production)
1165 FPS @ 10,200 PSI
(this works with no filler by the way)

The 3/4oz load pressure must be much lower. I have used this for some time and really like it. Recoil is very mild for fast recovery on doubles. The Puffed wheat is a pain but I get by with it. The Remington case seem tough to me and I do not have to worry about it coming apart; the mouth just falls apart in short order.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth of information. I have never really used any other case to any extent.
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

I sent a 7/8oz load with 16gr of Green Dot, Rem primer, R16 wad with 28ga nitro card filler to Tom Armbrust for testing. Velocity was 1190fps and pressure was 8600psi. 3/4 oz with same powder charge should be faster with even lower pressure.

Dennis
carpe dm
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Welcome! Good suggestions here and on the "Low Pressure Group" CD. I know you will enjoy reloading for the 16. I shot some trap with similar loads to those above last week (using an old L.C. Smith sxs) and had a ball!