16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington #12 shot?
Browningfan369
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 am  Reply with quote

I recently purchased one full case(2 flats) of Remington Green & Gold box, 16 gauge ammo, off of a friend of mine, who was acting as the seller for an old family friend. Beings that I'm the only person he knows with a 16 gauge, he came to me first. When I went looking to see what shot size the shells were the only thing I could find on the box, was something about #12 shot. I asked an older family member, who remembers #12, being big in skeet shooting and they referred to it as "Dust", when it was being made. I've shoot a few boxes, on the local skeet field, it does a good job at breaking targets, but it's alot louder then the newer ammo, I sometimes shoot. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I wrote Remington, with no response so far.

Last edited by Browningfan369 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I use No 12 that I buy from Ballistic Products to load handgun shotshells. I like the pattern density it provides in the (relatively) tiny payload of a revolver. However, the Moccasins here in S. Florida don't share my enthusiasm.

Never seen it or used it in a "real" shotshell.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

The only use I've seen for it is .22 caliber shotshells.

I use #10 in my handgun shot loadings.

I've also heard #12 called "dust" shot.

I would never buy #12 in regular shotshells unless the price was right - as in almost free.
longwalker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've used #12 handloads in a .410 for shooting sparrows and starlings around the farm. The tiny shot is very deadly on small birds, but only within about 20-25 yards. It is good inside barns 'cuz it doesn't penetrate the walls or roof. I can't think of much else that it would be good for, especially loaded in a 16. Maybe shooting "late season" grasshoppers?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Back in my Florida days when I was also young and dumb enough to try and hunt anything that would fly, I was loading 1/4 ounce, #12 shot .410 loads for swamp skimmers (dragon flies.) It was a real challenge, because these little buggers don't fly in a straight line for too long in any one direction. Thankfully, I came to my senses before I got good enough to put a dent in the local population. Today, I'd rather pot myself in the butt than shoot one of these most valuable insects.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the day two #12's were packed in certain boxes of skeet loads to be used for stations 7+8(one shell for each).Never knew of a full box of 12's being marketed. Embarassed