16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chamber length Marlin Model 90
mdm1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Last night, I picked up a Marlin Model 90 in 16 ga. 28 inch, mod/full, two triggers, K in front of the s/n. After getting it home, I checked to chamber length and found it to be in the 2 9/16 - 2 5/8 range, using a gauge from Galazan's. Per a previous post, I believe K indicates 1953 production.

My question/concern is, was Marlin still chambering less than 2 3/4 inch in 1953?

I know there are a number of posts on shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in shorter chambers, places to buy 2 1/2 inch shells, etc. I was just surprised to see the shorter chambers in what I think is a 1953 gun.

Thanks,

Milton

Last edited by mdm1 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Milton --While I certainly can't say for certain as I don't have your gun in hand, I've been shooting the Model 90 for 30 years now and have never seen a chamber shorter than 2 3/4". I have probably two dozen of these guns, most of which are 16's (no 12's or 20's but a few .410's) with serial prefixes ranging from B to your K. The gauge I use was machined for me by a local gunsmith many years ago for the expressed purpose of measuring Marlin chambers. If Marlin ever manufactured the 90's with chambers shorter than 2 3/4" it is not in any of the literature available to me.
I have visited with Marlin about this gun but information is sketchy since the fire at the factory many years ago. Some of the serious collectors are of the same opinion as I am, that being that any variation in chamber length from 2 3/4" is likely to be a tooling issue perhaps related to the fact that Marlin re-tooled for this gun EVERY OTHER YEAR tpossibly making the 'shorter' chambers a function of tool wear.

Frankly I would be more skeptical of the gauge than the chamber length.

Bearing that in mind, you might take the gun to a 'smith to be certain. However there have been numerous posts on this site and others suggesting that the 'pressure' differences likely in guns with chamber lengths such as you describe are a 'non issue' insofar as safety is concerned.

Hope this helps.
Ron
mdm1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Ron,

Thank you for all the information. It reaffirms what I remembered reading in various posts in the past. As I stated earlier, I was more confused than concerned.

As far as the gauge, I have checked other 16 and 20 ga. sxs I have and gotten readings I more or less expected. A 1945 Elsie 2 3/4, approx. 1937 model 21 2 9/16, new Huglu 2 3/4 +. mid 70s Ithaca SKB 2 3/4.

I will try to get a picture and post it.

Milton
weagle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

My prewar Sears Ranger (Marlin 90) has 2 3/4" 16 ga chambers. I've never seen any reference of one with the short chambers.

Weagle
________
Ferrari 625 History

Last edited by weagle on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdm1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Weagle.

I certainly don't question those of you who have light years more experience with this model than I. Whether this is a case of tool wear or the type of gauge I'm using, I don't know. I just know what this model reads and what the other break open guns I have read.

I have taken a few pictures, but after about an hour, have not figured out how to post them. Would some kind soul help out this technically challenged person out?

Milton
mdm1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I may have this down.

[img] [img]

[/img]

Not the clearest photos, but you can read the gauge.

I have not found anyone locally who has any other 16 ga. chamber gauge. I may go to Houston in a couple of weeks. If so, I'll take th gun with me.

Milton
mdm1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

OK, guys. I have taken this gun to a gunsmith, Larry Feland of Cypress, TX. I believe him to be a very knowledgeable and respected smith.

Per Mr. Feland, the chambers are 2 5/8 inches. His gauges were solid cylinders, beveled on one end for the forcing cone, and two grooves cut into the cylinder, one at 2 5/8 inches and one at 2 3/4 inches.

His explanation, the gun was produced for the 2 3/4 inch shells of the day, paper hulls with rolled crimps. When they opened, they measured 2 5/8 inch. This made a lot of sense to me. I believe anyone, who was asked in 1953, what shells this gun was chambered for, would say with all honesty, 2 3/4 inch and be correct.

So, whether it was tool wear or chambered to shoot 2 3/4 inch roll crimped shells, the chambers are 2 5/8 inches.

Incidentally, my Model 21, which is marked 2 3/4 inch on the barrels, also has 2 5/8 chambers. Mr Feland said he places no value on what is marked on the barrels. He only trusts his measurements.

Another of Mr. Feland's comments on the Model 90, "this is a good gun". I know this won't mean much to the Model 90 fan club, but I was somewhat impressed. I'm glad I bought the gun.

I took it out and shot about a box of shells at some very informal clays. (Talked my wife into throwing some from my DO All) I was pulverizing the minis after about 10-12 shots. I like the gun, too. Thanks to all who unknowingly talked me into buying one.

Milton
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

AHHHHHH ; GRASSHOPPER IS SHOWN THE PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT !!!!!!!!

Glad you like it .

Regards Charles