16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dewey Vicknair Restorations
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of meeting Dewey last night at his house he lives about 2 miles from me. I was droppping off a stock at Susquehanna stock works(Craig Leibhart) and he refered me to Dewey for metal work. All I can say is WOW! This guy knows his stuff. I examined the 1910 Fox pingun that is on his website as well as the Lefever G grade. All the work is done right there by him in his basement shop. We had a great discussion on case colors and how each Manufacture had there own methods and how they changed through the years. The Damascus barrels on the Lefever were gorgeous and from the befor pictures I don't know how. The bores were like new inside and the gun did look brand new. I am going to take the LC Ideal grade over to him to work some magic. If you have any work to be done on your older doubles I would check him out. I don't beleive there are many guys left with his type of talent.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I just had Dewey fit a set of 20 gauge Damascus barrels, to my 0 frame, 16 gauge Parker, with Damascus barrels. Giving me a really neat 2 barrel set. Anyways, he did a super job, and I will be using his services again.
I'm hoping to meet him personally at the Southern this year.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I thought of you when I was there Dave I told Dewey I wanted a steel barreled Lefever he told me not to be scared of Damascus. That made me think of your Parker Hammerguns. I invited him to shoot skeet with us on wednesday nights I hope he show's up. Anyway its nice to live across the feild from him. I see alot of old beaters in my future.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:13 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
I thought of you when I was there Dave I told Dewey I wanted a steel barreled Lefever he told me not to be scared of Damascus. That made me think of your Parker Hammerguns. I invited him to shoot skeet with us on wednesday nights I hope he show's up. Anyway its nice to live across the feild from him. I see alot of old beaters in my future.

Be very carefull with the Old Beater guns. Dewey is very good at what he does, be he isn't cheap. I'm not saying he should be. You just have to be carefull that you don't put more into repairing a gun, than it is worth. But at least you have someone close, who can give you an honest, accurate, evaluation of a Damascus gun. You think the 16 gauge is an addiction. Wait till you start shooting a Damascus 16. Wink

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Pudelpointer and Dave

Thanks for posting your impressions of Dewey. Another member of the LC Smith org. had recommended Dewey to me. I was planning to take several doubles to him and you gentlemen helped to make that decision even easier. Thanks again.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

"You think the 16 gauge is an addiction. Wait till you start shooting a Damascus 16. "

Really??? I can't imagine what you mean$$$$$.

Don't you just stroll on down to Dick's and pick up a set of Damascus Barrels and then saunter in to Wally World for some High Brass 16'ers and there you go. Boom Boom !

Dave, I have Dewey's cell# to track him down at the Southern. May have to buy that fella a brewsky or two!

Cheers,
Brad
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Brad,
I'm bringing those 16 gauge, 28" Damascus barrels to the Southern with me. Either you are going home with the barrles, or I'm going home with your receiver. We will sit down on Sat. night, have a few cocktails, smoke a fine cigar, and come to some kind of agreement on this. Wink
Best Regards, Dave Miles

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 am  Reply with quote

How about posting his website? Very Happy

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:04 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
How about posting his website? Very Happy

http://www.vicknairrestorations.com/index.html

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dave. I really don't pay attention to what I get in them. I figue a like new restored Lefever would be in my safe forever so value doesn't matter to me. I can't buy a new one and if I could $$$$$. The other point is I use them so a restored 100% gun is worth more to me than a 70-80% original. Its not like I'm ever going to get rid of them the only guns I get rid of are modern peices.